West Midlands Vegan Festival - Sat 27th October 2012

Forum to discuss and advertise vegan, animal, human, environmental and other vegan related events and campaigns.

Moderators: hardcore iv, fredrikw, JP, stateofflux, bronco

Re: West Midlands Vegan Festival - Sat 27th October 2012

Postby baldy » Mon Oct 29, 2012 9:44 am

Thanks to everyone who helped and visited us on the stall. Really was a great day, the rowing machine was very popular, over 40 people had a go at the 500m challenge.
Special thanks to Big Good Wolf for booking the table, being there early to setup and to JohnBarleycorn for use of his rowing machine.

Next stall we do will be even more spectacular.

"A wise man once said, "It's easier to buy smaller clothes, than to put on 5kg." ... Buzz
baldy
Site Admin

Postby ida » Mon Oct 29, 2012 10:13 am

More photos?
there is always time for rowing
ida

Postby k.child90 » Thu Nov 01, 2012 12:09 am

Just wanted to say this stall was a really good idea. Added variety to the event. I enjoyed taking the challenge but wonder whereabouts I ranked. Would have been good to have a leaderboard rather than just the record time.
k.child90

Postby baldy » Thu Nov 01, 2012 8:56 am

[quote="k.child90"]Just wanted to say this stall was a really good idea. Added variety to the event. I enjoyed taking the challenge but wonder whereabouts I ranked. Would have been good to have a leaderboard rather than just the record time.

Thanks for having a go at the challenge and your feedback. As you might have noticed, we were not that organised this year.
Next year we will be more organised, a top gear style scoreboard would be brilliant actually.

[quote="ida"]More photos?

Not really, few on facebook, next time will need official photographer.
"A wise man once said, "It's easier to buy smaller clothes, than to put on 5kg." ... Buzz
baldy
Site Admin

Postby silver » Thu Nov 01, 2012 9:49 am

[quote="baldy"]

[quote="ida"]More photos?

Not really, few on facebook, next time will need official photographer.

You just had to say. I was there.
As it goes the lighting is horrible in there and it's very, very crowded too.
I don't think I took more than 2 photographs.
It's not what you do occasionally that makes a difference, it's that which you do everyday that brings progress.

http://www.thesilverman.co.uk

Strava-https://www.strava.com/athletes/2077466
silver
User Activation Admin

Postby VeganGraham » Sun Nov 04, 2012 8:00 pm

Is it time to start planning next year's event yet ? :D

Just a few ideas from me;

We had a wall behind us. We should use this to display something. We need a banner.

Baldy brought a laptop to show videos, but there were no sockets near us. If we can sort out running a laptop off a 12v supply, I can bring a couple of truck batteries next year which should last all day.

We need to make it clearer what the rowing challenge is all about. Make sure there's something happening all day and the results are being updated live and displayed on the wall.

We need to do a talk. How to get strong or fast on normal, easily sourced, vegan food.
Worcestershire's fastest veteran vegan mountain bike endurance racer with a beard.
Angry Middle Aged Man
VeganGraham

Location: The banks of the River Severn as it meanders through the sun dappled leafy glades of Worcestershire

Postby loveliberate » Mon Nov 05, 2012 12:32 am

You forgot: Chocolate cake.
“I do not love the bright sword for it's sharpness, nor the arrow for it's swiftness, nor the warrior for his glory. I love only that which they defend." http://www.a-human-right.com - http://www.aware.org
loveliberate

Postby VeganGraham » Mon Nov 05, 2012 1:06 pm

It's not like me to forget cake. :)

There's a thread on the Festival's Facebook page at the moment with people complaining that there were too many cakes and not enough "healthy" foods.
A few of us went to one of the nutrition talks, which was more like watching a pantomime character give a list of the most obscure, hard to find plant extracts you could think of.
An event like this should be about promoting veganism and proving how easy it is, not just an opportunity for a bunch of hippies to get together and make it look like just another fad by talking about "superfoods" and making vague claims about "increased energy".
Maybe I should do a talk on "How to win a bike race while eating food you can buy at Tesco"
Worcestershire's fastest veteran vegan mountain bike endurance racer with a beard.
Angry Middle Aged Man
VeganGraham

Location: The banks of the River Severn as it meanders through the sun dappled leafy glades of Worcestershire

Postby hardcore iv » Mon Nov 05, 2012 2:20 pm

[quote="Big Good Wolf"]
Maybe I should do a talk on "How to win a bike race while eating food you can buy at Tesco"

Yes! I think I did see some tesco everyday value sea buckthorn the other day, so it can be done. Not sure if the the berries were serenaded with Ukranian folk songs though?
"When you are born, you are set forth to die. The fact that you live or don't live between these two dates depends solely upon your own will, opportunities and desires. The weight exerciser, of course, indicates that he chooses to live." Joseph Curtis Hise
hardcore iv

Postby thestoatyone » Mon Nov 05, 2012 10:01 pm

[quote="Big Good Wolf"]Maybe I should do a talk on "How to win a bike race while eating food you can buy at Tesco"

I'd watch that!
Vincit omnia pertinax virtus

My Log

[quote="muchluv"]When I grow up I want to be Gelert.
thestoatyone

Postby tal » Mon Nov 05, 2012 11:07 pm

[quote="hardcore iv"][quote="Big Good Wolf"]

Yes! I think I did see some tesco everyday value sea buckthorn the other day, so it can be done. Not sure if the the berries were serenaded with Ukranian folk songs though?

I have a friend who knows a guy who owns shares in an Icelandic plankton factory.

But don't worry about the mercury, one wave of my magic wand will turn it into ginkgo biloba and make me fertile.
tal

Previous

Return to Vegan activism and events