West Midlands Vegan Festival - Sat 27th October 2012

Forum to discuss and advertise vegan, animal, human, environmental and other vegan related events and campaigns.

Moderators: hardcore iv, fredrikw, JP, stateofflux, bronco

Re: West Midlands Vegan Festival - Sat 27th October 2012

Postby ninearms » Sun Oct 21, 2012 7:33 pm

[quote="baldy"]Sounds very suboptimal. All we can really do is have the best stall we can and try push the mainstream fit, healthy non hippy lifestyle angle.
Next year we should make a point of doing a talk, lets take the fair back!

I'm coming down now, with the wife and child in tow. I'll make sure I wear a t-shirt with some non-hippy slogan on. Perhaps we should have a rule that no purple can be worn by any person manning the VF stall too. Hippies swarm to purple like sharks to mashed up fish heads.
“Begin at the beginning,” the King said gravely, “and go on till you come to the end. Then stop.”
ninearms
Perked Member

Postby tal » Sun Oct 21, 2012 8:16 pm

[quote="ninearms"]I'm coming down now, with the wife and child in tow. I'll make sure I wear a t-shirt with some non-hippy slogan on. Perhaps we should have a rule that no purple can be worn by any person manning the VF stall too. Hippies swarm to purple like sharks to mashed up fish heads.

great so instead we will be swarmed by barefoot runners?

;)
tal

Postby ninearms » Sun Oct 21, 2012 8:21 pm

[quote="Talyn"][quote="ninearms"]I'm coming down now, with the wife and child in tow. I'll make sure I wear a t-shirt with some non-hippy slogan on. Perhaps we should have a rule that no purple can be worn by any person manning the VF stall too. Hippies swarm to purple like sharks to mashed up fish heads.

great so instead we will be swarmed by barefoot runners?

Sometimes it's hard to tell them apart. The price of healthy knees is eternal vigilance.
“Begin at the beginning,” the King said gravely, “and go on till you come to the end. Then stop.”
ninearms
Perked Member

Postby kallefs » Mon Oct 22, 2012 4:08 pm

Are you coming Talyn?
Dum di dum!
kallefs

Postby tal » Mon Oct 22, 2012 8:58 pm

[quote="kallefs"]Are you coming Talyn?

Aye I will be. Hoping I won't overdose on enzymes.
tal

Postby xJimx » Mon Oct 22, 2012 9:29 pm

[quote="Big Good Wolf"]Oh dear, they've got a "Raw Food Celebrity" to open the festival.

Think they may be stretching the definition of celebrity here somewhat given that her fame seems to translate to around 2000 lunatics that follow her on Twitter.

In all seriousness though, how the f*ck exactly do the people organising this event think that this is a good idea? Seems that these festivals are just getting weirder & weirder as the years go by.
DYEL
xJimx

Postby JohnBarleycorn » Tue Oct 23, 2012 9:59 am

[quote="ninearms"][quote="baldy"]Sounds very suboptimal. All we can really do is have the best stall we can and try push the mainstream fit, healthy non hippy lifestyle angle.

I'm coming down now, with the wife and child in tow. I'll make sure I wear a t-shirt with some non-hippy slogan on. Perhaps we should have a rule that no purple can be worn by any person manning the VF stall too. Hippies swarm to purple like sharks to mashed up fish heads.

I've got a purple velvet jacket !
I eat to nourish my compassion, not my greed

I'm the man they couldn't kill ! I cannot be destroyed with conventional weapons !

And probably the former fastest British Vegan 10, 25 and 50 mile TT rider. Probably.
JohnBarleycorn

Postby ninearms » Tue Oct 23, 2012 11:18 am

[quote="JohnBarleycorn"][quote="ninearms"][quote="baldy"]Sounds very suboptimal. All we can really do is have the best stall we can and try push the mainstream fit, healthy non hippy lifestyle angle.

I've got a purple velvet jacket !

That's Hippy Grand Wizard standard issue!
ninearms
Perked Member

Postby Hiking Fox » Tue Oct 23, 2012 12:47 pm

[quote="xJimx"]In all seriousness though, how the f*ck exactly do the people organising this event think that this is a good idea? Seems that these festivals are just getting weirder & weirder as the years go by.

That is my worry, also. A friend of mine was chucked out of an event organised by the same people for "acting weird". Guess he must have been acting off-the-scale-weird to have caused embarrassment.

I recall the first London festival, at which there was a speaker who claimed it isn't necessary to drink water or any other fluids, so this kind of poor representation of vegan culture has always happened.
Hiking Fox

Postby JohnBarleycorn » Tue Oct 23, 2012 8:28 pm

I'm coming down now, with the wife and child in tow. I'll make sure I wear a t-shirt with some non-hippy slogan on. Perhaps we should have a rule that no purple can be worn by any person manning the VF stall too. Hippies swarm to purple like sharks to mashed up fish heads.[/quote]

I've got a purple velvet jacket ![/quote]
That's Hippy Grand Wizard standard issue![/quote]

Thats me ! :D

I've been waiting for the right occasion to wear it. Maybe this is it ?
I eat to nourish my compassion, not my greed

I'm the man they couldn't kill ! I cannot be destroyed with conventional weapons !

And probably the former fastest British Vegan 10, 25 and 50 mile TT rider. Probably.
JohnBarleycorn

Postby baldy » Wed Oct 24, 2012 8:53 am

[quote="xJimx"][quote="Big Good Wolf"]Oh dear, they've got a "Raw Food Celebrity" to open the festival.

Think they may be stretching the definition of celebrity here somewhat given that her fame seems to translate to around 2000 lunatics that follow her on Twitter.

In all seriousness though, how the f*ck exactly do the people organising this event think that this is a good idea? Seems that these festivals are just getting weirder & weirder as the years go by.

Yeah there are lots of weird stalls but this time we have a stall! I don't think we really get to moan about the speakers as we are not doing one ourselves.
Lets step up next year and organise a talk or demonstration. Maybe like the vegan strength guys do in Germany?

Vegan Fitness does not have 2000 followers on twitter, lunatics or sane, so we can probably learn something about activism from these people. In exchange we can offer them lessons on science, might be a fun questions sections in some of these talks. :)
"A wise man once said, "It's easier to buy smaller clothes, than to put on 5kg." ... Buzz
baldy
Site Admin

Postby hardcore iv » Wed Oct 24, 2012 10:09 pm

Are any London folk driving up and have room to give me a lift back and/or a couch to sleep on for the night? I'll give you a free hopi ear candling ;)
"When you are born, you are set forth to die. The fact that you live or don't live between these two dates depends solely upon your own will, opportunities and desires. The weight exerciser, of course, indicates that he chooses to live." Joseph Curtis Hise
hardcore iv

Postby baldy » Thu Oct 25, 2012 8:27 am

[quote="hardcore iv"]Are any London folk driving up and have room to give me a lift back and/or a couch to sleep on for the night? I'll give you a free hopi ear candling ;)

The woking cult car has 4 people in already, some of them are pretty small folk though, so it maybe possible. Anyone else coming up from London, maybe convey?
"A wise man once said, "It's easier to buy smaller clothes, than to put on 5kg." ... Buzz
baldy
Site Admin

Postby VeganGraham » Fri Oct 26, 2012 11:47 am

As radio interviews go, I think the Raw Food Celebrity does a very good job here. It's never easy to make an event sound exciting, talking to a radio presenter over the phone.
http://www.redditchgreenfair.org.uk/wmv ... ersion.mp3
The rowing machine is loaded and ready to go. The floor plan shows us near the front entrance doors with the rowing machine between us and VBB.
I still think the stall's going to look a bit bare, but just being there and talking with people is worth it.
Worcestershire's fastest veteran vegan mountain bike endurance racer with a beard.
Angry Middle Aged Man
VeganGraham

Location: The banks of the River Severn as it meanders through the sun dappled leafy glades of Worcestershire

Postby hardcore iv » Fri Oct 26, 2012 12:58 pm

I, or anyone who feels like it, can print off a few of the veganstrength flyers that hannibal made several years ago if needed? http://www.veganstrength.org/articles/vegan-strength-getting-big-and-strong/
"When you are born, you are set forth to die. The fact that you live or don't live between these two dates depends solely upon your own will, opportunities and desires. The weight exerciser, of course, indicates that he chooses to live." Joseph Curtis Hise
hardcore iv

PreviousNext

Return to Vegan activism and events