West Midlands Vegan Festival - Sat 27th October 2012

Forum to discuss and advertise vegan, animal, human, environmental and other vegan related events and campaigns.

Moderators: hardcore iv, fredrikw, JP, stateofflux, bronco

West Midlands Vegan Festival - Sat 27th October 2012

Postby mvc94 » Mon Jul 16, 2012 11:47 am

One of the biggest vegan festivals in the world returns to Wolverhampton in October and looks set to dwarf last year's event!!

The West Midlands Vegan Festival keeps on getting bigger and better! Every year there are more stalls and more new attractions and every year more people flood through the doors of the Wolves Civic!!

This year's mega vegan extravaganza takes place on Saturday 27th October. It's the 5th year of the event, but for the first time stallholders and visitors will spread out throughout the entire venue, as we've hired both the Civic and Wulfrun Halls which provides an extra 400 square metres of floorspace!! And that's not all, the event will be open an extra hour until 6pm. So that's lots more space and more time to celebrate and promote compassionate, eco-friendly, healthy living on a massive scale!

You can expect to find over 100 stalls, the best vegan caterers from across the UK, cookery demos all day, approx 20 talks, live entertainment from start to finish, a licensed all vegan bar, push-up competition, free goodie bags for the first 200 visitors, an after party and so much more!! Full details on the event website http://www.midlandsveganfestival.org.uk

2011 FESTIVAL REPORT and PHOTOS

Last year's festival was an incredible success. It was attended by a record 1,700 people and the venue was bursting at the seams all day, hence why we've hired the whole venue this year! You can find a report and 50 photos on our website here http://www.veganmidlands.org.uk/festiva ... tival.html

According to the completed feedback forms, half of our visitors the last 2 years were non-vegans! With your help, we have no doubt that even more meat-eaters and veggies will be attracted to this year's event!

LEAFLETS and ONLINE PROMOTION!

We have 1,000's of colour leaflets which need distributing far and wide! Can you leave some in your local health food shop, cafe, library, university, community hall, church etc? Please contact us with your address and the number of leaflets you can use and we'll post them to you.

There are lots of ways you can help to promote the festival online. Why not share this email with your friends?! If you have a website/blog etc, please consider displaying a web banner or a simple text link to our festival website (see various banners here http://www.veganmidlands.org.uk/festival/banners.html ) Please join us on Facebook/Twitter and encourage your friends to do likewise, share our event updates etc.

http://www.facebook.com/events/417809864898883/

http://www.facebook.com/veganmidlands

http://twitter.com/WMVeganFestival

VOLUNTEER YOUR TIME ON THE DAY!

One major reason for the growing success of the festival is that so many of you have given your time on the day in many varied ways, from setting up/packing away, to leafletting and handing out free programmes. We will need your help more than ever this year! If you can help for a while, please contact our volunteer coordinator Dean at dean_bracher@yahoo.co.uk

THANKS TO OUR SPONSORS!

We are extremely grateful to the following companies for sponsoring the festival. Without their support, this event would not be taking place.

Moo Free Chocolates - http://www.moofreechocolates.com

Yaoh - http://www.yaoh.co.uk

Animal Aid - http://www.animalaid.org.uk

Femmecup - http://www.femmecup.co.uk

Lakeside Ethical Treats - http://www.ethical-treats.co.uk

That's all for now but stay tuned for lots more news and updates over the coming months and we look forward to seeing you in October!

Thanks in advance for your help promoting the event.

Best wishes,
MVC
Midlands Vegan Campaigns
For the benefit of animals, people & the planet
mvc94

Re: West Midlands Vegan Festival - Sat 27th October 2012

Postby Hiking Fox » Mon Jul 16, 2012 11:57 am

This was a great event last year.

Unfortunately, it clashes this year with the London Anarchist Bookfair, which is also huge and attracts some of the same stallholders.

It will be a dilemma which one to attend.
Hiking Fox

Postby mvc94 » Mon Jul 16, 2012 12:04 pm

Yes it's a very unfortunate clash! I think the bookfair date has moved this year. We always stage the festival the Saturday before World Vegan Day on the 1st November.
Midlands Vegan Campaigns
For the benefit of animals, people & the planet
mvc94

Postby Hiking Fox » Mon Jul 16, 2012 12:05 pm

Yeah, the bookfair is normally the previous weekend, it's a bummer.
Hiking Fox

Postby VeganGraham » Mon Jul 16, 2012 2:48 pm

Does anyone from VF want to do a talk at WMVF ?
We've discussed before the possibility of having a VF stall, here, here and here, and I don't think it's any more likely than it was then. With nothing to sell, paying for a stall is just money out with nothing coming back in.

I don't know how the system works, but I would guess the speakers get free admission at least, if not expenses as well.
Last year they had "The Miracle of Fasting for Supreme Health & vitality & the magic of Apple Cider Vinegar" and "The Way of the Essenes With Julian Haynes, who lived for three years in the jungle learning Amazonian Shamanism and building a pyramid."

Some people are going to visit WMVF and go away thinking this is what veganism is about.
It's our responsibility to stop that happening and tell them the truth that it's all about pies and cakes, heavy weights and long bike rides.

Is there anyone who could make a reasonable job of talking about sport and veganism ?
Worcestershire's fastest veteran vegan mountain bike endurance racer with a beard.
Angry Middle Aged Man
VeganGraham

Location: The banks of the River Severn as it meanders through the sun dappled leafy glades of Worcestershire

Postby Hiking Fox » Mon Jul 16, 2012 3:33 pm

[quote="Big Good Wolf"] "The Way of the Essenes With Julian Haynes, who lived for three years in the jungle learning Amazonian Shamanism and building a pyramid."

Is that last one a piss-take, or did they actually have it? :shock:
Hiking Fox

Postby VeganGraham » Mon Jul 16, 2012 3:50 pm

No, it was for real.
I remembered quoting it last year, so went back and found my post on VF, although the original on the WMVF site has gone.

While searching for it, I also found this one from a vegan fair in London.
[quote]Doreen Renphrey will be speaking about `The New Conciousness Vegan Diet` : How raw friut and raw vegetables have been energised with the same crystals, sacred geometry and sacred sound, and how the levels have higher conductivity with this diet.

This is not veganism, it's just hippies.

The trouble is, the hippies have all got a book, DVD or course to sell and are well practised at selling their raw organic snake oil substitute to other hippies.
I could go in there and talk common sense about eating pies and riding a bike, but I couldn't do it in an entertaining way.
Worcestershire's fastest veteran vegan mountain bike endurance racer with a beard.
Angry Middle Aged Man
VeganGraham

Location: The banks of the River Severn as it meanders through the sun dappled leafy glades of Worcestershire

Postby baldy » Mon Jul 16, 2012 4:03 pm

Spot the VF members!

Anyone know how much a stall is? We are probably in a lot better place to run one this year actually.
"A wise man once said, "It's easier to buy smaller clothes, than to put on 5kg." ... Buzz
baldy
Site Admin

Postby VeganGraham » Mon Jul 16, 2012 4:20 pm

I've messaged Dean via Facebook to get a price for a stall.
If we're going to go for it, I'll do what I can to help.
Angry Middle Aged Man
VeganGraham

Postby kallefs » Mon Jul 16, 2012 5:15 pm

I would really like to visit a vegan fair in England after hearing some horror stories :), this might be it. Will look into the possibilites.
Dum di dum!
kallefs

Postby thestoatyone » Wed Jul 18, 2012 6:45 pm

Awesome build up to this. Mrs Stoatyone and I are well on it; we're only 45 mins down the road. Totally happy to do a turn on the stall if we get one.
Vincit omnia pertinax virtus

My Log

[quote="muchluv"]When I grow up I want to be Gelert.
thestoatyone

Postby xJimx » Thu Jul 19, 2012 9:58 am

[quote="Hiking Fox"]Unfortunately, it clashes this year with the London Anarchist Bookfair, which is also huge and attracts some of the same stallholders.

It will be a dilemma which one to attend.

Anarchists are probably even smellier than vegans, so I'd go with the vegans.

On a serious note, have to agree about the problem with crazy mofos that pop up giving talks at these events. The likes of Dawkins/Goldcare would quite rightly have a field day with these hippies.
DYEL
xJimx

Postby Hiking Fox » Thu Jul 19, 2012 5:24 pm

I don't care how smelly the punters are if they buy my books and pay my train fare!
Hiking Fox

Postby VeganGraham » Mon Jul 23, 2012 11:49 am

I spoke to Kevin yesterday, the guy taking stall bookings at WMVF.
We could have a 4' table for £30 or a 6' table for £50, the same as they charge Vegan Runners.

Somebody's got to make the first move, so, I'm prepared to pay for half a £50 stall and stay there all day if we go for it.
It would be good to get a few more people involved and split it 4 or more ways though.

As for what we're going to have on the stall, well, I've got a 6' table I can bring.
I can go to B&M and bulk buy a load of cheap Fry's Peppermint Creme bars and Ruffle bars to sell.
Any other ideas ? Something a bit more vegan & sport related I hope. :D
Angry Middle Aged Man
VeganGraham

Postby Hiking Fox » Tue Jul 24, 2012 4:37 pm

[quote="Big Good Wolf"]
I can go to B&M and bulk buy a load of cheap Fry's Peppermint Creme bars and Ruffle bars to sell.

I wouldn't bother selling those, as people can get them everywhere. The things that sell at vegan festivals are things you don't normally see in the shops, especially if you live in a small town without a decent wholefood shop.

So, vegan cakes, energy bars, hotdogs and things like that are more popular.
Hiking Fox

Next

Return to Vegan activism and events