Vegan runner - please send message

Forum to discuss and advertise vegan, animal, human, environmental and other vegan related events and campaigns.

Moderators: hardcore iv, fredrikw, JP, stateofflux, bronco

Vegan runner - please send message

Postby Konstantin » Sun Apr 08, 2012 7:45 pm

Can you send a message of support to Fiona Oakes running in 154 mile Marathon des Sables? You can do it online and it's easy.

Fiona is a long term vegan who runs just to prove vegans can do it and dispel myths. To send her a message go here: http://www.darbaroud.com/index.php and click on the UK flag.
On the left click on 'Write to a competitor' and select her - no 611.

She's suffering a damaged foot and is going to be up against it anyway so I imagine all messages will be appreicated.
You can see my training log if you're really bored: [url]www.veganfitness.net/viewtopic.php?f=8&t=16086&start=360[/url]
Konstantin

Re: Vegan runner - please send message

Postby Lordmuppet » Sun Apr 08, 2012 8:12 pm

[quote="Konstantin"]Can you send a message of support to Fiona Oakes running in 154 mile Marathon des Sables? You can do it online and it's easy.

Fiona is a long term vegan who runs just to prove vegans can do it and dispel myths. To send her a message go here: http://www.darbaroud.com/index.php and click on the UK flag.
On the left click on 'Write to a competitor' and select her - no 611.

She's suffering a damaged foot and is going to be up against it anyway so I imagine all messages will be appreicated.

611?

edited to say: ah you meant number 611 is her on the selection drop down!

also edited to say: sent!
JS - They think it will open the door to folk like LordMuppet campaigning for a threeway?
Lordmuppet
Muppet Moderator

Postby JohnBarleycorn » Sun Apr 08, 2012 9:58 pm

Done ! :D
I eat to nourish my compassion, not my greed

I'm the man they couldn't kill ! I cannot be destroyed with conventional weapons !

And probably the former fastest British Vegan 10, 25 and 50 mile TT rider. Probably.
JohnBarleycorn

Postby Konstantin » Tue Apr 10, 2012 9:28 am

Update - excuse me stating the obvious but this is HARD!

[quote]UPDATE - 10th April
Managed to speak to Fiona this morning briefly & she has sent a short e mail through via the MDS organisers, as for some reason her phone is not "doing" e mails

We have been very concerned about her as she was a very long time completing stage 1 & finished right at the back of the field. Yesterday she appeared to have a better day and improved her position by about 150 people

Having seen her mail & spoken to her we now know what happened.

Given her fractured toes & the fact that the terrain on day one was the opposite of a smooth road, Fiona decided to walk the first stage - as many competitors do walk the whole thing - clearly even walking that far in that heat with a heavy ruck sack is beyond 99.999% of people ! & with fractured toes... well I just don't know - Anyway, she was walking with a lady who gradually got slower & slower & they found themselves at one point walking with the Camel at the back of the field. At first I thought this might be a cunning plot to enlist the Camel at Tower Hill Stables !

Then, alone again with the lady, Fiona finished an ascent, looked back to see that her colleague had collaped at the foot of the hill. So she had to go back for her (T E Lawrence style) and she literally dragged the lady up the hill with her poles. It was a big effort & felt Fiona very tired. Then Fiona had to leave the lady & run to the finish to raise the alarm and get the Medics.

The lady was helped to the finish, but this meant that Fiona had been out in the heat for much longer than planned.

Additionally she has had an allergic reaction to her socks. We had bought some X Bionic ones, special heat reflective ones, but it appears that something in them has reacted badly with her & her legs & feet have gone red & are swollen. She has been lent another pair by one of the race leaders and the organisers have been good to her because of her actions towards her fellow competitor.

The attention she got, caused Little Percy to become a Celebrity & Eurosport have said they will interview him if he makes it to the end ! - This afterall is what Fiona is there for - to get publicity.

On stage 2, she made better headway & quite a lot of people were suprised to see her go by with a snowmans head sticking out of her ruck sack ! - She said she could hear people saying, OMG I've been overtaken by a girl with a snowman !

Here is Fiona's e mail:

Yesterday bad. hurt knee. girl i was had to be attended to by dr and i waited with her. not bd though as it got me publicityin the race. organiser has promised that if i finish percy will be interviewed on eurosport. he i already making a name for himself. i did do one interview already. second hotest day ever on race today 51 degrees. it is a killer. more tough than i could ever explain. i have had an allergic reaction to my socks.my legs are so bad i cannot explain. massive and red and so sore. same as my feet. it has given me really bad blisterrs. i have hd injections but they have been ok with me because of what i did yesterday for my fellow competitor. not bothered as it got me publicity and that is all i am here for. please thank everyone for emails it really does mean a lot. i am doing my best but with my foot, knee, toes and the conditions it is bad. i hope you are all ok and i am thinking of you. this really is hell on earth. all you do is run,rest and see medics x

So thank you to all who have send messages of support via the MdS website.

To send a message go to this link HERE & then hit the British flag at the top of the screen & then select the "write to a competitor box" on the left hand side under the main picture

Select 611 from the list, thats Fiona's race number.

There is also a live webcam on this site - see the link on the right of the page when you get there.
You can see my training log if you're really bored: [url]www.veganfitness.net/viewtopic.php?f=8&t=16086&start=360[/url]
Konstantin

Postby purple_mog » Tue Apr 10, 2012 9:40 am

Have sent a message of support - I think she is amazing, and a fantastic example of showing compassion to all living things :D
The greatness of a nation and its moral progress can be judged by the way its animals are treated.

Mahatma Gandhi
purple_mog

Postby Konstantin » Wed Apr 11, 2012 9:43 am

Stage 3 completed and she moved up 90 places. Go vegan!
Konstantin

Postby skoptic » Wed Apr 11, 2012 9:59 pm

Thanks for the updates :) Have mailed her some support..
skoptic
Facebook Admin

Return to Vegan activism and events