PETA's latest campaign: Living With BWVAKTBOOM

Forum to discuss and advertise vegan, animal, human, environmental and other vegan related events and campaigns.

Moderators: hardcore iv, bronco, fredrikw, JP, Rochellita

PETA's latest campaign: Living With BWVAKTBOOM

Postby baldy » Wed Feb 15, 2012 11:02 am

http://www.bwvaktboom.com/

All over the world, regular guys are choosing a vegan diet, unaware of the erotic consequences. As a result, an epidemic is spreading among their "loved" ones: BWVAKTBOOM, "Boyfriend Went Vegan and Knocked the Bottom out of Me."

"A wise man once said, "It's easier to buy smaller clothes, than to put on 5kg." ... Buzz
baldy
Site Admin

Re: PETA's latest campaign: Living With BWVAKTBOOM

Postby baldy » Wed Feb 15, 2012 11:06 am

Loads of them online, but this is the most VF kind of one..
Rope, duct tape, tarp, first aid kit, only thing he is missing is a spade.
"A wise man once said, "It's easier to buy smaller clothes, than to put on 5kg." ... Buzz
baldy
Site Admin

Postby Linnéa76 » Wed Feb 15, 2012 1:50 pm

I think I would have liked the campaign more if it had been about vegan partners of both sexes. Maybe old couples still being able to have a sex life because their vegan diet helped them avoid cardiovascular diseases. But obviously you can't have a PETA campaign without young women in their underwear. I'll still post the link to my FB wall to annoy my non vegan friends...
-Talk is cheap-
Linnéa76

Postby beforewisdom » Wed Feb 15, 2012 2:56 pm

Linnéa76 wrote:I think I would have liked the campaign more if it had been about vegan partners of both sexes. Maybe old couples still being able to have a sex life because their vegan diet helped them avoid cardiovascular diseases. But obviously you can't have a PETA campaign without young women in their underwear. I'll still post the link to my FB wall to annoy my non vegan friends...

What about annoying your various *ist vegan FB friends? I've found that there are a high percentage of *ists of all kinds in the vegan community. PETA ads don't illicit a strong emotional response in me, though I think they are dumb, but I can understand why they would upset various vegans who multiple kinds of *ists. Some of those people are nice aside from those strong reactions so I would rather keep them as friends and not post such things to my FB page.

"The plural of anecdote is not data." (Roger Brinner)
beforewisdom

Postby NatB » Wed Feb 15, 2012 6:26 pm

Having just started dating a vegan (my first time!) I can TOTALLY vouch for this. Was wondering if the epic sessions we've been having count as cardio for my training log? :lol:
NatB

Postby vegan hal » Wed Feb 15, 2012 7:24 pm

i found the ad rather amusing..
vegan hal

Postby Fallen_Horse » Wed Feb 15, 2012 9:13 pm

Linnéa76 wrote:....But obviously you can't have a PETA campaign without young women in their underwear....

And so the sham is revealed.
Lovin' it!
Fallen_Horse

Postby Talyn » Thu Feb 16, 2012 1:37 pm

Talyn
User Activation Admin

Postby baldy » Thu Feb 16, 2012 2:25 pm

Fallen_Horse wrote:
Linnéa76 wrote:....But obviously you can't have a PETA campaign without young women in their underwear....

Is everyone biting there tongues, what do people really think? Gloves off people.

To be fair it is not just young women in their underwear, but they are the main feature. Maybe society has just programmed us into only noticing the young girls in knickers and not the homosexual guy with the duct tape and tarp?
baldy
Site Admin

Postby Seitanist » Thu Feb 16, 2012 3:42 pm

My girlfriend is not a fan of a lot of the female-centric ads, but she didn't find this one offensive. I was surprised, because I thought it was rather crude.

In general I support PETA and have done a lot of protests with them, so I'm pretty dulled to their antics. But, showcasing a "hurt" woman as a result of veganism ("compassion" anyone?) seems a bit weird.

When I first saw the ad I laughed, but I've seen vegans on both sides of the aisle, some pretty upset by this. Overall, whatever: it's PETA, they do crazy shit and a few people will probably get interested in a plant-based diet because of it.
The devils of past religions have always, at least in part, had animal characteristics, evidence of man's constant need to deny that he too is an animal, for to do so would serve a mighty blow to his impoverished ego. -Anton LaVey
Seitanist

Postby Talyn » Thu Feb 16, 2012 4:05 pm

Personally, I think it's pretty stupid. But then again I think most 'health'-based arguments for veganism are pretty stupid.

For every person PETA inspire to become vegetarian/vegan they push many others further away and further ingrain the general populations confirmation bias that all vegetarians & vegans are idiots.

I think considering the budget they have, they could do so, so much more.
Talyn
User Activation Admin

Postby blinki » Thu Feb 16, 2012 5:49 pm

I'm not sure what I think of it. It's somewhere between a bit silly and pointless and really fucking absurd. It kind of comes off a bit too close to domestic abuse for my liking. Maybe it'd be different if the girl in it didn't seem so down. But as it is they are getting too close to playing on domestic abuse and that's at least bad taste. With their half naked young women thing this one is a bit further than normal. Sex is something done to her. She is having sex that she doesn't enjoy. The woman is just a way of showing how awesome in bed her boyfriend it.

But then even non-vegans I know are talking about it on facebook and I guess causing a stir of some sort and getting folk who wouldn't usually engage talking is the point of campaigns. It's uncomfortable to me even if I don't have a coherant view on it.
blinki

Postby Fallen_Horse » Fri Feb 17, 2012 2:43 am

Talyn wrote:I think considering the budget they have, they could do so, so much more.

Not sure how big their budget actually is, but you are probably right.

blinki wrote:....She is having sex that she doesn't enjoy. The woman is just a way of showing how awesome in bed her boyfriend it....

Good perspective
Lovin' it!
Fallen_Horse

Postby beforewisdom » Fri Feb 17, 2012 3:00 am

baldy wrote:
Fallen_Horse wrote:

Is everyone biting there tongues, what do people really think?

I think it will be March soon and you should switch to an Avatar pick without a Santa hat :)

"The plural of anecdote is not data." (Roger Brinner)
beforewisdom

Postby baldy » Fri Feb 17, 2012 9:24 am

beforewisdom wrote:I think it will be March soon and you should switch to an Avatar pick without a Santa hat :)

Next avatar will be me squatting in a bunny suit for Easter!
baldy
Site Admin

Next

Return to Vegan activism and events