Food Empowerment Project

Forum to discuss and advertise vegan, animal, human, environmental and other vegan related events and campaigns.

Moderators: hardcore iv, fredrikw, JP, stateofflux, bronco

Food Empowerment Project

Postby stateofflux » Wed Jul 13, 2011 7:39 pm

I heard about this group and the work of Lauren Ornelas through a friend and I really like the approach and the multi-issue politics so I thought I'd mention them here for those interested.

Food Empowerment project
stateofflux
Site Admin

Re: Food Empowerment Project

Postby xJimx » Thu Jul 14, 2011 8:42 am

Interesting stuff.

I work for a well known organisation here in the UK that supports 'disasvantaged' young people & one of our aims is to promote well-being, both mental & physical. Funnily enough just yesterday I was having a conversation with a colleague (who's veggie like quite a few people I work with, although I'm the only vegan) about how appalling the food choices of our young clients tend to be & how diffiicult it is to address the issue.

One big problem is that many of the people we support are in such desperate situations when we encounter them that the last thing they want is a lecture (as they perceive it) on healthy eating & clean living; basically, it's hard to care about what you're putting in your body when you're worried about where you next meal is coming from or if you've just been thrown out on the street by your family. I agree it's a massive issue for our society but I just think it's important to remember when coming from a position of relative comfort/privilege that it's not a simple one.
DYEL
xJimx

Return to Vegan activism and events