Save me - Save the Hunt Ban

Forum to discuss and advertise vegan, animal, human, environmental and other vegan related events and campaigns.

Moderators: hardcore iv, fredrikw, JP, stateofflux, bronco

Save me - Save the Hunt Ban

Postby ratfan » Wed Aug 25, 2010 12:35 pm

just got this

SAVE THE HUNT BAN

The new Coalition Government offers both terrible threats and glimmers of hope for our fellow species. A key concern is the danger of a repeal of the hunt ban. It is imperative that a majority of MPs vote against a return to hunting. It is impossible to tell when the Government will start the process to repeal the Hunting Act. Therefore, we are contributing to a federation of groups working to save the hunting ban under Queen guitarist Brian May's 'SAVE-ME' banner.

We are organising a National Day of Action on Saturday 18th September. Can you hold a street campaign stall on or around that date? Or hand out postcards at college or in your place of work? The SAVE-ME federation is producing campaign postcards, posters and a petition for the 18th September Day of Action. Email me at dan@vote4animals.org.uk to place your order, or if you have any questions or want advice.
ratfan

Re: Save me - Save the Hunt Ban

Postby JohnBarleycorn » Wed Aug 25, 2010 8:14 pm

Hmmmmmm !

I am not so sure about this........standby for controversial view !

I think the ban has been a disaster for foxes !

Every hunt has continued exactly as before. They are still hunting two or three times a week, and they are still killing foxes. NOTHING has changed ! Don't believe the ban is saving foxes. Its not !

But what has changed, is that the public thinks its banned. So there is no moral outrage anymore. There are less protesters now, too, as people genuinely believe there is a ban, being enforced by the police.

Most hunt members are now glad the ban went ahead. Its taken the heat off them. They would like to keep the ban, so they can carry on hunting as normal, without any interference. The police certainly aren't interested in enforcing the ban. If the ban is reversed, the protests will start again, and hunting will be at risk, as the next ban may be properly thought out and there may even be a will to enforce it.

I know lots of hunting people, who incidentally know I am vegan, and know my views, although may not know exactly how far i have gone to interfere with hunting. So I get the inside edge on whats happening in hunting ! It ain't pretty !

Just my opinion............
I eat to nourish my compassion, not my greed

I'm the man they couldn't kill ! I cannot be destroyed with conventional weapons !

And probably the former fastest British Vegan 10, 25 and 50 mile TT rider. Probably.
JohnBarleycorn

Postby moggy » Thu Aug 26, 2010 1:33 pm

Sadly I have to agree with JBC, LOTS AND LOTS of hunting still goes on, and the shooting of foxes out here is getting more and more frequent, some Saturday mornings I literally have men standing on the road outside my house with guns while their dogs flush out the foxes from my neighbours fields.
It took just 3 words to make me vegan- Put Calves First
moggy

Postby JohnBarleycorn » Thu Aug 26, 2010 1:55 pm

Yup !

They start autumn hunting shortly. The handy euphemism for this is 'cubbing'. When they dig out the young foxes and kill them, as a warm up to the main hunting season. Every hunt in Britain will be doing this. The ban is worse than useless.

I see no will in Britain to enforce the ban.....the police are still protecting hunts and still ignoring the assaults on hunt sabs.

Very sad !

I'm the man they couldn't kill ! I cannot be destroyed with conventional weapons !

And probably the former fastest British Vegan 10, 25 and 50 mile TT rider. Probably.
JohnBarleycorn

Postby vegan hal » Thu Aug 26, 2010 2:03 pm

terrible and sad all around. seems like Brian May's group has the right intentions, but the wealthy people who do these hunts have likely paid off the law enforcement. From what I believed (as an outsider) is that most of the people in the UK oppose the hunt not for animal rights or welfare, but more about the class system. of course I could be very wrong as I've not lived in the UK since 1976.

We have hound hunts here as well, but mostly drunk rednecks looking for big bucks and bear. I'd love for the hound hunting to be outlawed here too, but enforcement would be tough.
vegan hal

Postby moggy » Thu Aug 26, 2010 6:04 pm

most people are against it because they belive its cruel, its on top of that city people may think its only the well off who hunt. Thats where you the get the 'poor' farmers claiming that they do it as well, so it is not just for the upper class. They then try and say that city people only want it banned because of the class issue. They just cant get it through their thick heads that people want it banned because its cruel.

note- a lot of 'poor' farmers live in large detached houses and have a lot of 4x4 cars, and have the cash to buy up any local land that goes for auction.
moggy

Postby JohnBarleycorn » Thu Aug 26, 2010 7:58 pm

Agreed !

I know lots of farmers who are convinced they are struggling, and finding life hard. But they can always buy a 4x4 with cash.

Most hunt supporters still trot out the old line that 'antis' are just students who are paid £10 to come and protest by the labour party, the League Against Cruel Sports, or even the Kremlin ! As if a student would get up early and travel miles to get beaten up in a field for a tenner. its hard for them to comprehend that anyone objects to hunting on cruelty grounds. They have to look for another motive. In their defence, if you've grown up abusing animals your whole life, its a big leap of understanding to see that the rest of the world doesn't share your perversion.

They also believe, quite seriously, that they are defending the 'British' way of life. The final bastion of Britishness, under attack from liberals and 'do-gooders' ! They think anti foxhunting people are against everything that made Britain great, and its up to them to defend it ! I hear that a lot.

But when you think about it, the British Empire was founded on the exploitation and abuse of foreign cultures and peoples, so in many ways they are continuing that trend. So yes, we are against it !

JohnBarleycorn

Postby thestoatyone » Fri Aug 27, 2010 11:50 pm

This is a about as sophisticated as my thinking on the matter gets...
Vincit omnia pertinax virtus

My Log

[quote="muchluv"]When I grow up I want to be Gelert.
thestoatyone

Postby Konstantin » Sat Aug 28, 2010 3:41 pm

I've got really mixed views about the hunt ban, and as I'm no longer sabbing or inolved in the anti hunt stuff directly, losing touch with how things are working. I hear sab groups say the ban is working, and a lot of word of hunt packs resigned to having to disband if they don't get the ban overturned pretty damn quickly. On the other side, the points above. I suppose time will tell.
[quote="JohnBarleycorn"]I know lots of farmers who are convinced they are struggling, and finding life hard. But they can always buy a 4x4 with cash.

Farmers generally do OK. I deal with finances for some of them, and there aren't many poor ones. Sometimes I think it's an agreed tactic to constantly moan so they keep subsidies up.

[quote="JohnBarleycorn"]
They also believe, quite seriously, that they are defending the 'British' way of life. The final bastion of Britishness, under attack from liberals and 'do-gooders' ! They think anti foxhunting people are against everything that made Britain great, and its up to them to defend it ! I hear that a lot.

As soon as hunting is banned, the Royal family will be next. This is said so straight faced I can only believe it was seriously believed. As if there is even an active large movement against the monarchy as there is with bloodsports! As with the 'getting paid by the Kremlin' thing, it just highlights the gulf between the two movements and the distant world these people live in.

BTW, we used to use the story about getting paid £25 and a packed lunch to wind up the terriermen. We told them our packed lunches were really good and were the only reason we did it. So I guess we contributed to that belief. Sorry!
You can see my training log if you're really bored: [url]www.veganfitness.net/viewtopic.php?f=8&t=16086&start=360[/url]
Konstantin

Postby Hiking Fox » Wed Sep 01, 2010 8:48 am

[quote="Konstantin"]
BTW, we used to use the story about getting paid £25 and a packed lunch to wind up the terriermen. We told them our packed lunches were really good and were the only reason we did it. So I guess we contributed to that belief. Sorry!

£25???

I used to get my rent paid by the KGB and a full packed lunch from Linda McCartney. Should have sabbed in Cheshire, mate.
Hiking Fox

Postby Hiking Fox » Wed Sep 01, 2010 8:53 am

[quote="JohnBarleycorn"]
Every hunt has continued exactly as before. They are still hunting two or three times a week, and they are still killing foxes. NOTHING has changed ! Don't believe the ban is saving foxes. Its not !

But what has changed, is that the public thinks its banned. So there is no moral outrage anymore. There are less protesters now, too, as people genuinely believe there is a ban, being enforced by the police.

Pretty much what I've heard. The ban isn't being enforced and the pressure has gone off the hunts.

However...

The campaign sounds like a really good thing if it:

* Reminds the public how crap the Tories are;
* Reminds the public how fickle the political process of securing lasting change is;
* Reminds the public how cruel hunting is and how arrogant the people who do it are;
* Brings a new influx of young people into the movement against bloodsports, and;
* Raises awareness that hunting still continues.

Is the campaign doing the latter? If not, it is missing a trick.
Hiking Fox

Postby Konstantin » Wed Sep 01, 2010 10:21 am

Do people think that the Cuntryside Alliance are aware of the situation and are not really lobbying enthusiastically for a repeal?
You can see my training log if you're really bored: [url]www.veganfitness.net/viewtopic.php?f=8&t=16086&start=360[/url]
Konstantin

Postby moggy » Wed Sep 01, 2010 6:16 pm

Doh, I'm a bit slow at times, never thought of how well the name Cuntyside Alliance really fits.

I hope that the ban is not repealled, because although it it not well (ok, at all)policed out here, things would just get even worse.

Do you reckon Brian May could be persuaded to turn vegan? :D
I reckon his part in getting the Badger Cull stopped in Pembrokeshire was pretty significant. (and he must have helped the moral of local campaigners struggling to get their case heard) He got a lot of local press attention in an area where animal rights struggle to get noticed. I was quite astonished at some of the local papers he got featured in- that was some acheivement.
moggy

Postby mabli » Mon Sep 06, 2010 2:42 pm

Labour Party are using this to recruit more members

[quote]I wanted to write to thank you for all your help in putting fox hunting on the agenda during the election campaign. Thousands of you wrote to local papers highlighting the view of your local Parliamentary candidates and together we made sure that people knew there was a real choice about such an important issue.

Despite all of our best efforts the new Conservative and Lib Dem Government committed itself to a vote in Parliament on bringing back fox hunting.

Since the entering coalition with the Conservatives the Lib Dems have, however, been silent about this threat. This means Labour is now the only party willing to stand up and say there should be absolutely no return to fox hunting.

So now I'm asking you to help again in this campaign. The incredible activity and generosity of people in the Back the Ban movement took us forward during the election. But now we need to come together again.

Let us stand together - join the Labour Party

By being part of the Back the Ban campaign, you already played a big part in making sure that Conservative candidates had to justify their views during the General Election.

In just a few short months, you and thousands of others made a huge difference to the political debate in this country.

And by joining the Labour Party, you can continue the fight against a return of this barbaric activity. Join the Labour Party today

Over the next few years, it’s important that we all stand up for what we believe in. By joining before 12.30pm on Wednesday means that you will be able to help shape the action we take by voting for the next Labour Leader, too.

Be there with us – join the Labour Party

With best wishes

Hilary Benn

mabli

Postby SpugFab » Mon Sep 06, 2010 3:34 pm

I notice Tony Blair claimed that he considers the ban on fox hunting to be one of the mistakes he made during his presidency.

http://www.fwi.co.uk/Articles/2010/09/01/123097/Fox-hunting-ban-deliberately-sabotaged-says-Blair.htm
SpugFab

Next

Return to Vegan activism and events