USA: Wash D.C.: DC Vegfest: Sat 2010 Sep 11

Forum to discuss and advertise vegan, animal, human, environmental and other vegan related events and campaigns.

Moderators: hardcore iv, fredrikw, JP, stateofflux, bronco

USA: Wash D.C.: DC Vegfest: Sat 2010 Sep 11

Postby beforewisdom » Tue May 04, 2010 12:16 am

What:
DC Vegfest

When:
Saturday 2010 September 11 Noon - 6pm

Where:
DC VegFest is conveniently located at George Washington University on the University
Yard, just 4 blocks from the Foggy Bottom/GWU Metro station on the orange and blue
lines.

2000 block of H St., NW
Washington, D.C. 20052

URL:
http://dcvegfest.com/
beforewisdom

Re: USA: Wash D.C.: DC Vegfest: Sat 2010 Sep 11

Postby EceGled » Fri May 07, 2010 7:13 pm

Hehe, I went last year and volunteered to hand out some food for Java Green. I have to say, though, the food kind of sucked (at least what I and another volunteer tried, the fake chicken). Not doing themselves any favors with that. It was a task to get myself to swallow that whole sandwich, and I was really hungry.

I also tried a slice of pizza from one of the vendors (can't recall which) because it had Daiya cheese. Okay, so I didn't get what was so great about Daiya cheese that other vegans claim, other than it not being soy. It tasted the same as Teese soy cheese. Totally not worth the four dollars I paid for that small slice of pizza.

I did like the gift bag they handed out. Free vegan dog food I'll take any time. haha!

I might go again this year not as a volunteer. Last year I wanted to leave to go to Aikido practice as I was really focused on Aikido, so I didn't get to listen to any of the talks. Granted, it's pretty mainstream stuff, so there might not be any talks that exciting to listen to. I happened upon another vegan from my university complaining about pseudoscience she encountered at the event, and I totally know what she meant about that.
To become vegetarian is to step into the stream which leads to nirvana. -Buddha
my blog: culture, politics, and animals
EceGled

Postby beforewisdom » Tue May 11, 2010 2:09 am

I had a completely different impression.

Probably different choices.

There were many, many, food vendors there. I got a falafel and enjoyed it very much. I found Dr. Gregors talk very fact based, useful and entertaining.

There was one author there that I know of that is sloppy with facts, but that was one speaker out of a significant number.

What specific statement did your friend have a problem with and what is her/his area of expertise?
beforewisdom

Postby beforewisdom » Tue May 11, 2010 2:10 am

beforewisdom

Postby EceGled » Tue May 18, 2010 10:38 pm

[quote]What specific statement did your friend have a problem with and what is her/his area of expertise?

I don't know, not my friend... expertise is not important. This person was a grad student at my university, and I think highly of all the grad students I've met here, so...
EceGled

Postby JP » Wed May 19, 2010 6:22 am

nothing like constructive criticism LOL! :D
JP
Site Admin

Postby beforewisdom » Mon May 24, 2010 9:39 pm

Compassion Over Killing is now accepting applications for exhibitors and sponsors:

http://member.cok.net/civicrm/event/reg ... =2&reset=1
beforewisdom

Postby beforewisdom » Mon May 24, 2010 9:48 pm

[quote="JP"]nothing like constructive criticism LOL! :D

I can highly respect someone who can say flat out "this is how I know what I know, this is where I got my opinion from" without empty posturing, like everyone else does on the internet.

I applaud her honesty.
beforewisdom

Postby EceGled » Mon Jun 28, 2010 5:23 am

All I'm saying is... considering I have my own criticisms of many vegans promoting poorly backed-up science, and considering who the exhibitors were (mainstream), it seemed like a reasonable criticism for someone else to make. For example, claiming that surely all individuals are better without meat, that a plant-based diet is always healthier as long as it's "well-planned."
EceGled

Postby beforewisdom » Wed Jun 30, 2010 4:49 pm

[quote="EceGled"]All I'm saying is... considering I have my own criticisms of many vegans promoting poorly backed-up science, and considering who the exhibitors were (mainstream), it seemed like a reasonable criticism for someone else to make. For example, claiming that surely all individuals are better without meat, that a plant-based diet is always healthier as long as it's "well-planned."

You may be right.

However in the 30 years since I have gone vegetarian I have yet to meet a person whose health did not improve on a veganish diet, unless that person was sloppy or misinformed with their nutrition.
beforewisdom

Postby fredrikw » Wed Jun 30, 2010 5:00 pm

[quote="beforewisdom"]However in the 30 years since I have gone vegetarian I have yet to meet a person whose health did not improve on a veganish diet, unless that person was sloppy or misinformed with their nutrition.

but isn't this true for any diet? your health will improve unless you're sloppy or misinformed with your nutrition is equally true on a non-vegan diet.

when I turned vegan I didn't think there would be any candy, chocolate, cakes or any sweet stuff to eat, so every time I found something I immediately bought it. going from eating hardly any candy before, when turning vegan I started eating loads of this stuff. it took me almost a year to settle down and stop eating all the candy I could find.
--- non-racers. the emptiness of those lives shocks me ---
fredrikw
Site Admin

Postby beforewisdom » Fri Aug 27, 2010 1:50 pm

I'll be there tabling for Vegan Outreach as a volunteer from Noon - 2pm.

Stop by and say "Hello"! :)
beforewisdom

Postby vegan hal » Fri Aug 27, 2010 2:06 pm

Hope it's a good one. Sure it will be. I'll be in new england visiting my family that weekend. otherwise I'm only about 2.5 hrs away.

we have the Charlottesville Veg fest coming up at the end of September too. always a good time.
vegan hal

Postby beforewisdom » Fri Aug 27, 2010 5:08 pm

[quote="vegan hal"]Hope it's a good one. Sure it will be. I'll be in new england visiting my family that weekend. otherwise I'm only about 2.5 hrs away.

we have the Charlottesville Veg fest coming up at the end of September too. always a good time.

I've been to it a few times. A friend of mine organizes it. Charlottesville is a beautiful little town. I don't know if I will go this year, it is about a 4 hour drive for me and if there is a football game in the area even longer with sitting in traffic.
beforewisdom

Postby beforewisdom » Sat Sep 04, 2010 12:50 pm

One week away!

I will be tabling for Vegan Outreach from 12 - 2pm. If you are there drop by and say "hello"! :)
beforewisdom

Return to Vegan activism and events