West Midlands Vegan Festival - Sat 27th October 2012

Forum to discuss and advertise vegan, animal, human, environmental and other vegan related events and campaigns.

Moderators: hardcore iv, bronco, fredrikw, JP, Rochellita

Re: West Midlands Vegan Festival - Sat 27th October 2012

Postby Hiking Fox » Tue Jul 24, 2012 4:38 pm

Big Good Wolf wrote:I'm prepared to pay for half a £50 stall and stay there all day if we go for it.

I'd be interested in splitting a 6 foot stall with VF and putting my books on it. They hardly take up any table space.
Hiking Fox

Postby JP » Thu Jul 26, 2012 7:33 am

Big Good Wolf wrote:Some people are going to visit WMVF and go away thinking this is what veganism is about.
It's our responsibility to stop that happening and tell them the truth that it's all about pies and cakes, heavy weights and long bike rides.

haha, absolutely awesome :D

and so fucking right!

VF is needed there! Never mind things to sell either, just have the grippers on the stall, or someone bring some weights, like a dumbell for show.

Every time we have done these stalls have ended up talking to people about all sports, lifting probably in the minority, and often the people have been non vegans, so there is a need.

Banner would be good to have, they are costly, but needed.

great idea to share with HF!
JP
Site Admin

Postby Big Good Wolf » Thu Jul 26, 2012 8:48 am

I only mentioned Fry's bars because I can get them for 39p in B&M and they sell for 79p in H&B.
They've got a long shelf life, so I could buy a few dozen, put them on the stall at 60p, and if they don't sell, I'll just take them home and eat them myself over the following months.
Home made cakes and stuff would be best though.
I can make some flapjacks and I'll see if Mary wants to make some cakes.
Having cake recipe books on the stall sounds good to me. :D

Kevin said we can go next to VBB by the door if we want.
I can bring a dumbell, or even an olympic bar and plates, but it gets pretty crowded, so I don't think we could allow people to pick them up.

Who else wants to be part of this ?
I don't mind staying all day, but I don't want to on the stall on my own all that time.
Worcestershire's fastest veteran vegan mountain bike endurance racer with a beard.
Angry Middle Aged Man
Big Good Wolf

Location: The banks of the River Severn as it meanders through the sun dappled leafy glades of Worcestershire

Postby baldy » Tue Jul 31, 2012 2:00 pm

JP wrote:VF is needed there! Never mind things to sell either, just have the grippers on the stall, or someone bring some weights, like a dumbell for show.

Every time we have done these stalls have ended up talking to people about all sports, lifting probably in the minority, and often the people have been non vegans, so there is a need.

Banner would be good to have, they are costly, but needed.

JP can you get boxes of these babies? Would be great to sell/eat on the stall, if we can get some boxes.

Banner wise, maybe can just do like the veganstrength team go and have single letters on an A4 page?
Anyone from the veganstrength crew can give us any ideas, we should probably get some leaflets also done.
"A wise man once said, "It's easier to buy smaller clothes, than to put on 5kg." ... Buzz
baldy
Site Admin

Postby JohnBarleycorn » Tue Jul 31, 2012 9:16 pm

Yeah.....go on....I'll help !

I can stand around and look pretty !

I'll be going anyway. So I'm happy to lend a hand.
I eat to nourish my compassion, not my greed

I'm the man they couldn't kill ! I cannot be destroyed with conventional weapons !

And probably the former fastest British Vegan 10, 25 and 50 mile TT rider. Probably.
JohnBarleycorn

Postby Hiking Fox » Wed Aug 01, 2012 10:44 am

Big Good Wolf wrote:I only mentioned Fry's bars because I can get them for 39p in B&M and they sell for 79p in H&B..

I just don't think they'll sell, because people go to these events looking for unusual vegan products that they can't buy down the local high st.
Hiking Fox

Postby baldy » Wed Aug 01, 2012 10:49 am

With so many cyclists on the stall maybe we could setup a stationary bicycle and run a watts challenge?
"A wise man once said, "It's easier to buy smaller clothes, than to put on 5kg." ... Buzz
baldy
Site Admin

Postby mvc94 » Thu Aug 02, 2012 10:33 am

baldy wrote:With so many cyclists on the stall maybe we could setup a stationary bicycle and run a watts challenge?

This would make a very interesting addition to the event. If you have enough volunteers to run this throughout the day, we would be happy to discuss making some space available.

Some of you may like to know that there will be an after party from 6pm - 1am at The City Bar (a very popular restaurant/bar with local vegans), so when combined with the festival itself the event now runs non-stop for 14 hours!! We have hired the entire venue - all 3 floors! There'll be a fully vegan menu, live bands on one floor and acoustic acts on another. More details to come. There's a Facebook page for this event here http://www.facebook.com/events/396862977043691/
Midlands Vegan Campaigns
For the benefit of animals, people & the planet
mvc94

Postby JohnBarleycorn » Thu Aug 02, 2012 12:24 pm

Hmmmmmm.......could be interesting.

I'll come along to the party too !
I eat to nourish my compassion, not my greed

I'm the man they couldn't kill ! I cannot be destroyed with conventional weapons !

And probably the former fastest British Vegan 10, 25 and 50 mile TT rider. Probably.
JohnBarleycorn

Postby Hiking Fox » Thu Aug 02, 2012 5:26 pm

Will there be any crashing space laid on in Wolves for those of us who'd like to attend the party and head home the next morning? A floor will do, I'd bring a sleeping bag.
Hiking Fox

Postby JP » Thu Aug 02, 2012 7:37 pm

better off getting builders bars from wiggle or ebay mate, and sell them?

i dont yet have a good source here...
JP
Site Admin

Postby Hiking Fox » Thu Aug 02, 2012 7:49 pm

How about this for a suggestion:

VF books a stall for £50. We sort out about 6-8 people to staff it, plus the wattage bike "sideshow". (I'm happy to be one of the staff).

We sell stuff like Builder's bars and cakes on the stall (I was thinking of bringing my Gluten-free chocolate fridge cake, cos it is always a big hit) and I could sell my books, with a proportion of the cover price going to VF and a proportion paying my train fare. (The books sell for £1.50 and they cost me 60p to produce, so the 90p profit could be split two ways).

Either way, I could do with an answer soon, or all the stalls will go and then I won't have the option of booking one.
Hiking Fox

Postby Talyn » Thu Aug 02, 2012 7:53 pm

Hiking Fox wrote:Either way, I could do with an answer soon, or all the stalls will go and then I won't have the option of booking one.

Do it.

We can sort the details out later.
Talyn
User Activation Admin

Postby baldy » Fri Aug 03, 2012 8:12 am

Talyn wrote:
Hiking Fox wrote:Either way, I could do with an answer soon, or all the stalls will go and then I won't have the option of booking one.

Do it.

We can sort the details out later.

Plan sounds solid, I am busy working with BGW to book a table under the name of VF. Cake sounds good!
baldy
Site Admin

Postby Hiking Fox » Fri Aug 03, 2012 8:30 am

Great, I won't do anything then. We should all swap mobile numbers nearer the time, so we can co-ordinate shifts, who is bringing what etc. Just to re-iterate, my books don't take up much table space (they are A5 size and there are three types).
Hiking Fox

PreviousNext

Return to Vegan activism and events