All Nikita jeans should be made Vegan

Forum to discuss and advertise vegan, animal, human, environmental and other vegan related events and campaigns.

Moderators: hardcore iv, bronco, fredrikw, JP, Rochellita

All Nikita jeans should be made Vegan

Postby ida » Tue Mar 27, 2012 10:59 am

So I have a favourite brand of jeans called Nikita jeans. They are really cool and comfortable and I have some pairs that are designed without the totally-pointless-and-oh-so-irritating-leather patch on the backside of the waistband. This is what they look like:

Since I love my Nikita jeans so much I am looking to buy an additional pair, but can only find jeans with what seems to have a leather patch in the back. So I emailed their customer service and a couple of days later I got a nice reply informing me that it is real leather in the patch. :(

Not happy about the content of the reply, I emailed them back asking them to forward a request to their design team about not using leather for the backside patch in the future, and I wanted to ask of you to do the same. Their email is eu@nikitaclothing.com

It is a rather small Icelandic brand so I think that it is possible influence them to stop using leather. The patch is rather pointless and there is no need for it to be made out of leather, and it makes shopping for jeans so tricky. So please, if you have a few minutes to spare; help me make all Nikita jeans vegan :)

Many thanks in advance,
Ida
there is always time for rowing
ida

Re: All Nikita jeans should be made Vegan

Postby baldy » Tue Mar 27, 2012 11:09 am

I still have Nikita jean envy, they are really cool jeans! Checked the site and they don't make "boy" jeans or even "girl" jeans that will fit me. :(
"A wise man once said, "It's easier to buy smaller clothes, than to put on 5kg." ... Buzz
baldy
Site Admin

Postby ida » Tue Mar 27, 2012 11:21 am

baldy wrote:I still have Nikita jean envy, they are really cool jeans! Checked the site and they don't make "boy" jeans or even "girl" jeans that will fit me. :(

I know, they are a bit discriminatory towards people with more than a 32'' waist... But think about all your vegan friends that will be able to walk around in cool Nikita jeans, if the whole brand was made vegan 8)
ida

Postby baldy » Fri Mar 30, 2012 10:32 am

I got a reply and they said they would pass on to the design department.
Vegan boy jeans next season!
"A wise man once said, "It's easier to buy smaller clothes, than to put on 5kg." ... Buzz
baldy
Site Admin

Postby Rach » Thu Apr 05, 2012 5:00 pm

I get PZI jeans from US, they do quite a few without leather patches and fit my 'ample' derriere without gaping at the waist :wink:
https://www.pzijeans.com/magento3/
Rach

Postby Gastroplodder » Thu Apr 05, 2012 5:22 pm

I was having a similar dilemma regarding the 'leather' patch on some second-hand Wranglers I had acquired - while removing it I realised it probably wasn't real leather as it would show signs of being washed etc. So I did the burn test (leather doesn't burn at all well):

That's no way leather, more like some sort of plastic product - more to do with oil wells than cows!
Probably the fastest vegan elf at Abingdon parkrun

http://gastroplodder.vegebear.com/blog
Gastroplodder

Postby fredrikw » Thu Apr 05, 2012 7:10 pm

Ok, I'll bring a lighter to the store next time, if they burn I'll buy'em. :lol:
--- non-racers. the emptiness of those lives shocks me ---
fredrikw
Site Admin

Postby ida » Thu Jun 07, 2012 7:30 am

I don't know if it was the heavy vegan protesting but now the vegan design 'Atlantic' from Nikita Jeans is back in stock for the summer 2012 campaign. Already ordered me a pair! :)
ida

Postby Linnéa76 » Thu Jun 07, 2012 5:48 pm

ida wrote:I don't know if it was the heavy vegan protesting but now the vegan design 'Atlantic' from Nikita Jeans is back in stock for the summer 2012 campaign. Already ordered me a pair! :)

I'm also about to order them. :) But I was wondering about the size since they're quite low cut,
(and someone with a 23,5" waist is modelling a pair of 27") do you buy Nikita jeans in the same waist size as other jeans?
-Talk is cheap-
Linnéa76

Postby ida » Fri Jun 08, 2012 6:18 am

Linnéa76 wrote: do you buy Nikita jeans in the same waist size as other jeans?

I usually by my Nikita jeans one size smaller than I usually wear.
ida

Postby beforewisdom » Fri Jun 08, 2012 12:02 pm

ida wrote:
baldy wrote:I still have Nikita jean envy, they are really cool jeans! Checked the site and they don't make "boy" jeans or even "girl" jeans that will fit me. :(

I know, they are a bit discriminatory towards people with more than a 32'' waist... But think about all your vegan friends that will be able to walk around in cool Nikita jeans, if the whole brand was made vegan 8)

If the company wants their business thrive they should consider the majority of the population
that has a waist beyond 32".

"The plural of anecdote is not data." (Roger Brinner)
beforewisdom

Postby ida » Sat Jun 09, 2012 7:25 pm

beforewisdom wrote:If the company wants their business thrive they should consider the majority of the population
that has a waist beyond 32".

Agree.
ida

Return to Vegan activism and events