here is where I introduce myself

Please introduce yourself here.

Moderators: hardcore iv, bronco, fredrikw, JP, Rochellita

here is where I introduce myself

Postby Jason » Mon May 31, 2004 4:03 pm

Hello everybody!

I am Jason. I've been vegan for over 4 years and have come here looking for information, inspiration and ideas about physical fitness. My background is in bicycling. I've done many long distance trips, including a ride from Bar Harbor, ME to Minneapolis, MN last summer. My only goal in life is to ride my bike from Alaska south through Canada, down along the west-coast states across the southern states over to Florida and on down to Key West, FL. I plan on doing this within the next seven years (before I turn 35) as soon as I've saved the amount of money I think it will require plus enough so that I'm not penniless when I return.

I'm very skinny, with no muscle mass, except for my legs. I am an undisciplined eater; although I eat a wide variety of foods daily, including the good stuff like greens, fruits, veggies, flax seeds, almonds and whole grains, I eat a lot of junk and just generally overeat. I am not too concerned about overeating, however, since I don't drive, thus burning many calories in my commute to work, etc, in addition to my other riding.

I've always wanted to be a runner but have never been able to build any stamina. But, after reading some threads here a few weeks ago and buying some running shoes, I've made it up to 4 miles, which I am able to do 4 times per week (so far, let's hope I can build on this).

As for the weightlifting, I used to go to the gym all the time, working out with friends who were solid muscle, even trying things like creatine. But, I've never been able to build any mass in my upper body. So, with no reward other than the feeling of a good workout, I gave up on it after a few years. Now, pushups are the extent of my upper body workout. I also prefer the experience of running and bicycling as they can be outdoor activites and I like to be outside, and at the gym I belonged to, all the equipment had a potent bleach odor that really turned me off.

I'd really like to get into road racing but I don't yet have a training regimen that would make me competitive. I usually just go full bore, trying to race cars around the lakes here, or finding guys that look stronger than me and trying to outride them. Maybe by next spring I'll have researched this enough to get into it next season.

That's about it, I guess. Oh, I'm in Minneapolis but am thinking about relocating in the next few months. I'm 28. I work at Whole Foods Market. I'm a militant vegan for about 15 minutes a week, the rest of the time I think I set a positive example for those around me. I recognize the impossibilites of eliminating all suffering and only hope to make my impact, my footprint, as small as possible.

Peace,
Jason
Jason

Postby littlegirlbunny » Mon May 31, 2004 7:10 pm

Hi Jason!

Fascinating profile, sounds like your loving your cycling! I admire anyone who can follow their dream and make it a reality, best of luck for the trip - keep us all updated once you get on the road about how your doing!
littlegirlbunny

Postby J » Mon May 31, 2004 7:11 pm

I'm moving to Minneapolis this fall to start my PhD. It's a very good place for riding bikes I hear. Anyway, welcome.
J

Postby J » Mon May 31, 2004 7:12 pm

Except in the winter I guess....
J

Postby Rochellita » Mon May 31, 2004 7:16 pm

welcome, Jason

You may be interested in visiting this site as well as - http://www.organicathlete.org if you haven't already. There are alot of vegan cyclists in the interviews and profiles section.

Hope you achieve your goal!

Rochelle
Rochellita
Site Admin

Postby Jason » Tue Jun 01, 2004 2:50 am

Hey, thanks everybody!

Riding in Minneapolis in the winter is quite liberating. Thinking about all the times that I sat in a frozen car, hoping that the engine would warm up sufficiently to get the heat flowing through the car while the frozen car seat leeched away all my body heat, and then riding my bike and generating my own heat in mere moments is quite the experience. I don't think I could ever go back to the automotive way. Of course, the only part of my body that I can't keep covered are my eyes. My eyelashes freeze together many times each ride. That keeps things interesting :D Windproof clothing is the key, not layers!

Thanks for the link, too, Rochelle!

Peace
Jason

Cycling and running

Postby Oak » Tue Jun 01, 2004 8:06 am

Hi Jason!

I see that you have a really long cycle as your goal. I plan to something like that someday, but maybe not that long. I am training for a triathlon then i hope to do some more cycling training and hopefully by then i'll be ready for my goal of a charity cycle ride.

I'd like to cycle across africa, i am tempted to do it for an Aids charity.

What kind of bike do you use for your long distance cycling. I was thinking of using a tandem with my friend Johnathan if he was up for it. I'm always amazed at how fast tandems are :lol:

So it sounds like you could probably do a 5k road race, you do 4 miles which is quite far.

Keep up your positive example,
Oak :D
Oak

Re: here is where I introduce myself

Postby JP » Tue Jun 01, 2004 10:13 am

Hi Jason, welcome to the board!

Can you please add your location to your profile so people can see where you are from? Cheers!

Jason wrote:As for the weightlifting, I used to go to the gym all the time, working out with friends who were solid muscle, even trying things like creatine. But, I've never been able to build any mass in my upper body. So, with no reward other than the feeling of a good workout, I gave up on it after a few years.

There's always a reason why that doesn't happen - everyone, that is every single one, can add muscle mass, but certain steps have to be taken for that to happen. I think loads of people have been able to identify their weak points and improve thei diets/training etc from the advice they have got from here.

So if you are ever tempted to give it another shot, you are in the right place bro!

Great goal the across the west coast cycle, fantastic! There are quite a few cyclists on the board, though the endurance section is pretty quiet on the cycling front.

Hope you'll like it here!
JP
Site Admin

Postby fredrikw » Tue Jun 01, 2004 1:57 pm

Hi Jason

Alaska to Florida... that's quite a ride. Suddenly my ride this summer across Sweden (from Kiruna in the north to Ystad in the south) seems like a weekend trip... it's about 2000 km and we're doing it on road bikes with a minimum of luggage and will be riding about 120 km each day, with two resting days it will take us 18 days in total... :shock:
fredrikw
Site Admin

Postby Strix » Tue Jun 01, 2004 3:26 pm

Hi, Jason
You sound ambitious! Good luck and welcome. :)
"The hand that signed the paper felled a city;
Five sovereign fingers taxed the breath,
Doubled the globe of dead and halved a country;
These five kings did a king to death."
-Dylan Thomas
Strix

Postby JP » Tue Jun 01, 2004 5:27 pm

fredrikw wrote:Hi Jason

Alaska to Florida... that's quite a ride. Suddenly my ride this summer across Sweden (from Kiruna in the north to Ystad in the south) seems like a weekend trip... it's about 2000 km and we're doing it on road bikes with a minimum of luggage and will be riding about 120 km each day, with two resting days it will take us 18 days in total... :shock:

WOW MAN! Please keep us updated on that mate - get some pics as well to put up - you mad cclists should start a thread in the endurance section.

wow, i'm still in shock :shock:
JP
Site Admin

Postby Jason » Thu Jun 03, 2004 12:59 am

Wow, thanks for the warm welcome everybody!

Oak, for my ride from ME to MN last summer I used a road racing bike, with no climbing gears! The mountains on the east coast killed me without that climbing gear. I'm in the market for a touring cycle so I'll keep you posted.

JP - I wouldn't say that I've entirely given up. And I'm sure as I learn more here, I'll try new techniques and such and maybe be able to put on some muscle mass. And I'll add my location next.

fredrikw, your ride sounds rad! Have you thought about posting an online diary? Have fun!

Peace you all!

Jason
Jason

Postby fredrikw » Thu Jun 03, 2004 3:32 pm

JP wrote:WOW MAN! Please keep us updated on that mate - get some pics as well to put up - you mad cclists should start a thread in the endurance section.

wow, i'm still in shock :shock:

come on, it does not sound that hard, does it? until now, I haven't really seen this as something that serious... perhaps it is and I'm not aware of the full consequences :?

Jason wrote:Have you thought about posting an online diary? Have fun!

I'm bringing my digital camera to take lots of pictures (just bought an extra memory card for it) so there will be pictures. however, I'm not sure about access to the internet, hopefully on the resting days, the other days I'll be focused on eating and resting, not running around small town centers looking for an internet café :)

I will give you a full report when I'm back.
fredrikw
Site Admin

Postby Jason » Thu Jun 03, 2004 4:18 pm

fredrikw wrote:come on, it does not sound that hard, does it? until now, I haven't really seen this as something that serious... perhaps it is and I'm not aware of the full consequences :?

I'm with you. I didn't really think the ride last summer (~2500 miles) was all too difficult. On the rest days, I was itching to get back on my bike. We went against the jet stream so we maybe had 3 days of tailwind and by the end of the ride were averaging about 100 miles a day, 116 on the final day. We hauled all our own gear and camped probably 6 out 7 days of the week. I didn't get the sense of accomplishment that I thought I would. It is fun to tell people about because it does sound pretty amazing. But I think most people (with even a mild interest for cycling coupled with adventure) were to attempt it, they would probably come to the same conclusion. That it wasn't too difficult was a big part in my decision to attempt Alaska to Florida. If that doesn't scratch my itch, I may have to find someting new.
Jason

Postby Blaz » Fri Jun 04, 2004 3:23 pm

Once I rode my bicyle so much that I nearly fell unconscious. I was so sick I couldn't do anything for a day. The pace is important - the worst is to set a goal too far for one day, and try to achieve it at all costs. If you only set a long-term goal with moderately rigorous timing limits, the goal isn't so difficult to achieve.

My support to all stout cyclers, Blaz
The object of Strength is to control Power, which should pave the way for Noncruel Freedom. If Mind sustains Strength, and Noncruel Freedom supplies Spirit, which enhances Mind, then the head of causality unites its tail and Time is willing to serve Mind.
Blaz

Next

Return to New member introductions