Hi from a trans guy in West Yorkshire

Please introduce yourself here.

Moderators: hardcore iv, fredrikw, JP, stateofflux, bronco

Hi from a trans guy in West Yorkshire

Postby Seb » Mon Jul 06, 2015 9:09 pm

I'm Seb, I'm 31 and based in West Yorkshire, UK.

I've been vegan since 2007 and went vegetarian in 2005. I feel like becoming vegan really revolutionised how I feel about food, the environment and non-human animals. It also fits well with my lefty politics and the fact I live with other vegans and enjoy cooking communally.

Back in 2010, I was around 175lb and had never been fit. I trained up to do two half marathons (I have dyspraxia, low muscle tone and hyper mobile joints, but crossed the finish line) and burned off around 39lb... Sadly, in 2012 I had a break down, got put on to atypical antipsychotic drugs and am back up to 161lb :(

I came out as being transgendered (assigned female at birth and hoping to undergo "female to male" transition) eight months ago. It was a big thing to come to terms with and it made a lot of sense as to why a lot of feelings exist. I'd been out of exercise, but eating healthily for the past year due to working nights and bouts of depression (bipolar) and generally not really getting my sh*t together....

Recently, I've found out that I'm on the borderline of being too fat for the surgeries I want long term and this scared me. If I become immobile/sick all it takes is a few more pounds and I'll be turned down for treatment. On top of that, I'm sick of feeling tired a lot and of feeling bad about my body, I want to improve my life...

I want to improve my mental health and I want to get physically fit and drop 30lb (15 by Christmas which I think is doable). I want to do outdoor running, hiking and to get a more lean physique.I know I can drop 30lb,as I've dropped more in the past. Most of all, I'm tired of drinking ridiculous amounts, or gorging on biscuits to make myself feel better when what I need is to pick up old habits so I can feel better all round.

So hi... Apologies for the over share... Nice to meet people and hopefully this forum will give the info and community I'm looking for.
Seb

Re: Hi from a trans guy in West Yorkshire

Postby blinki » Mon Jul 06, 2015 10:12 pm

Hey, welcome to VF

I would say good luck but it sounds like you have good motivation and you've lost the weight before so know what you are doing. So you probably don't need luck :P

I'm trans too and one thing I've found myself saying often to folk who are still getting to grips with things/starting transition is that transition (of any/all sorts) isn't some magic pill that makes everything perfect. It pays to put the physical and psychological work in to getting to be where you want to be in general, you're ahead of the curve in having worked that out already
blinki

Postby loveliberate » Mon Jul 06, 2015 10:51 pm

Hello and Welcome Seb! Thanks for doing such a great intro - I wish all the best as you move forward toward being healthier and happier. :-)
“I do not love the bright sword for it's sharpness, nor the arrow for it's swiftness, nor the warrior for his glory. I love only that which they defend." http://www.a-human-right.com - http://www.aware.org
loveliberate

Postby Linnéa76 » Thu Jul 09, 2015 9:32 am

Welcome to the forum Seb! :) Maybe start a training log, that can be pretty motivating? Let us know how it's going!
-Talk is cheap-
Linnéa76

Postby Lordmuppet » Thu Jul 09, 2015 3:31 pm

welcome :) and yeah you hit the nail on the head regarding new habits :)

Bunch of very cool gyms a short walk from the centre in Leeds
JS - They think it will open the door to folk like LordMuppet campaigning for a threeway?
Lordmuppet
Muppet Moderator

Postby soniczip » Tue Jul 14, 2015 9:42 am

Welcome Seb. Nice to have another committed person with us.

As Linnea suggested, a training log could help you focus on your targets.

Good luck with everything :-)
i'm focusing on some kind of stuff
soniczip

Postby TheVizzle » Tue Jan 05, 2016 9:51 am

Hey Seb!

Local lad! I'm not far away in Huddersfield. Great and honest introduction.

Well done on completing your half marathon! I've signed up to my first this year. Alcohol is a depressant and since cutting it out I've felt so much better. I think no alcohol + good vegan diet + exercise is a great way to feel good both mentally and physically.

Good luck on your journey back to good health and all the best for 2016 :)
TheVizzle

Return to New member introductions