Hello from a new Vegan :)

Please introduce yourself here.

Moderators: hardcore iv, fredrikw, JP, stateofflux, bronco

Hello from a new Vegan :)

Postby YankeeBC » Sun Sep 08, 2013 6:44 am

Hello,
I will admit I have been lurking the forums for a bit. I finally decided to give vegan another go after one failed attempt. I feel much more confident this time around and I am enjoying trying new foods! I am keeping a food journal to try and make sure I eat enough. I find that I eat really healthy during the week and tend to slack a bit on the weekends ( lots of hiking, so I do not plan well).

I am horrible at introductions but here is a bit about me! I am a 23 year old chick currently stationed in Washington state. I have been in the military since 18, they made me eat meat (after being vegetarian since age 11) in boot camp because I was underweight (and apparently if you are not overweight and eat healthy you MUST be starving yourself....). Anyway I have never really liked the taste of meat, and my aunt had a farm growing up. I once raiser a pig on this farm, he was a little black pig with a white stripe. I use to steal crops to feed him extra, he really liked tomatoes. When I was six I saw my pig skinned and served for dinner.... I do not think traumatized quite describes it. So that was my initial motivation for not eating meat. Now I have that (all the suffering) along with a wealth of knowledge on the health advantages of a vegan diet (read forks over knives and my beef with meat and saw the china study documentary). A lot of health issues run in my family so I am also hoping to eliminate those possibilities :). I am hypoglycemic but I find as long as I carry snack and eat enough carbs I seem to do a lot better on a vegan diet so far.

Fitness wise, I run a lot with my dog (Yankee) and alternate that with strength training. Really motivated days I follow a gym day with a run (5-10K). I am currently a bit slow due to a knee issue but it is in the works of being resolved. I also so beach runs often, and attend agility and herding lessons with my dog.

This is probably the longest intro ever, and the most scattered brained one ever. Please feel free to offer and advice or ask any questions :)
LIVE KINDLY
YankeeBC

Re: Hello from a new Vegan :)

Postby sergio » Sun Sep 08, 2013 8:28 am

Welcome to the forum. And it's not a bad introduction at all!
I accidentally replaced all of my blood with coffee.
sergio

Postby hakko » Sun Sep 08, 2013 7:22 pm

Welcome to the board and good luck on becoming a vegan! Excellent choice. :)
hakko

Postby loveliberate » Sun Sep 08, 2013 8:31 pm

Hello & Welcome from Oregon! What part of WA are you in? How much longer are you in for?
“I do not love the bright sword for it's sharpness, nor the arrow for it's swiftness, nor the warrior for his glory. I love only that which they defend." http://www.a-human-right.com - http://www.aware.org
loveliberate

Postby YankeeBC » Mon Sep 09, 2013 5:10 am

Thank you for the welcome! I am on whidbey island and have another year before I either get out or re-enlist. I have been to Portland before, and hiked a really big waterfall near there (cannot remember the name.)! Anyway Portland seemed very nice and everyone in both Oregon and Washington are very nice! I am originally for NY so it was a bit of culture shock ;)
LIVE KINDLY
YankeeBC

Postby Linnéa76 » Mon Sep 09, 2013 9:28 am

Welcome to the forum and congratulations on going vegan! :)
-Talk is cheap-
Linnéa76

Postby veganjoggler » Sun Sep 22, 2013 10:26 pm

Welcome to the forum! That's an interesting story. I am new here myself and there's nothing wrong with your introduction, you sound natural not "scatter-brained". Best of health to you, YankeeBC!
veganjoggler

Postby Knight of Albion » Sun Oct 06, 2013 10:35 pm

A very warm welcome to the forum!
All this talk of religion but it's how you live your life that is the all-important thing.
If you set out each day to do all the goodness and kindness that you can and to do no harm to man or beast, then you are walking the highest path.
And when your time is up, if you can leave the earth a better place than you found it, then yours will have been a life well lived.
http://holy-lance.blogspot.com
Knight of Albion

Return to New member introductions