Hello from a new South Florida Vegan! (32 days old)

Please introduce yourself here.

Moderators: hardcore iv, bronco, fredrikw, JP, Rochellita

Hello from a new South Florida Vegan! (32 days old)

Postby alanmaldonado » Thu Mar 22, 2012 12:09 pm

Hi – I’m a “new” vegan. I’ve eaten nothing but a 100% plant based diet since February 20, 2012.

I feel great. I’ve always fairly healthy for a non-veg’n. Almost never ate red meat and many times would go days as a vegetarian. But I decided I wanted to change. I was in pretty good health and maybe only 10-15 lbs overweight. I have always thought eating animals was sort of wrong.

So, I did it primarily for health reasons but as the days and weeks went on I started to feel I’m doing it as much for the animal rights benefits as for health reasons. Even walking through the meat dept. at the grocery store gives me an odd feeling. I see cows, not beef, pigs, not pork, ETC. I don’t think I’ll ever eat meat or eggs or dairy again. This feels like a life-long change. Also, watching Forks over Knives sort of gave me the last kick in the pants to jump in the deep end of veganism.

So, in looking for online advice someone recommended veganfitness.net. I’m hoping I can keep learning about this lifestyle change, learn some new interesting recipes, share thoughts/ideas, and meet some new like-minded people. Especially in South Florida. I’m totally on my own with this here in the non-virtual world. I have no friends/family/acquaintances that are vegan or vegetarian.

PEACE, Alan
alanmaldonado

Re: Hello from a new South Florida Vegan! (32 days old)

Postby vegan hal » Thu Mar 22, 2012 1:49 pm

welcome!!! you'll like this place. congrats on the decision to go vegan. been vegan over 18yrs now so you can certainly do it.

and while this place is great. with lots of great info and support, i'll bet you can find some like minded people in s. florida. just got get your radar dialed in ... so-to-speak...
vegan hal

Postby alanmaldonado » Thu Mar 22, 2012 4:35 pm

Thanks Hal. Haven't really had a chance to explore on this site much but will soon.
alanmaldonado

Postby kallefs » Thu Mar 22, 2012 9:45 pm

Welcome!
Dum di dum!
kallefs

Postby xrodolfox » Thu Mar 22, 2012 11:52 pm

Welcome!
There's lots of long time vegans here. I've been vegan for more than half my life now, and I'm 34.

I strongly suggest making sure NOT to cut calories when you first go vegan. Eat plenty. It won't help you loose weight, but you'll be healthy until you figure out how to be vegan for a while... and then you can cut calories. Most of the beginning is just about learning. Doing too many things at the same time is a recipe for disaster.
"The worker has the right to leave his boss, but can she do it? And if she does quit him, is it in order to lead a free life; where she will have no master but herself? No, she leaves to sell herself to another employer. She's driven by the same hunger. Thus the worker's liberty is only a theoretical freedom, lacking any means of realization; an utter falsehood."
-Bakunin
xrodolfox
Site Admin

Postby loveliberate » Thu Mar 22, 2012 11:52 pm

Hello & Welcome Alan! :D
“I do not love the bright sword for it's sharpness, nor the arrow for it's swiftness, nor the warrior for his glory. I love only that which they defend." http://www.a-human-right.com - http://www.corneredcat.com - http://www.aware.org
loveliberate

Postby alanmaldonado » Fri Mar 23, 2012 2:21 am

Thanks xrod and lovel.
alanmaldonado

Postby Goob » Tue Mar 27, 2012 1:46 am

Welcome Alan! There are vegans all around, but surely there are many in South Florida. I remember there being a fair amount of vegetarians and vegetarian restaurants around when I was growing up in Hollywood. I don't really remember much about vegans specifically except for a rastafari guy I met at Dania beach a few times, but I imagine there can only be more vegans and vegan friendly places.
Mikhail Koklyaev wrote:Benedikt he is deadlift god , I'm only amateur
Goob

Postby alanmaldonado » Tue Mar 27, 2012 10:58 pm

Goob wrote:Welcome Alan! There are vegans all around, but surely there are many in South Florida. I remember there being a fair amount of vegetarians and vegetarian restaurants around when I was growing up in Hollywood. I don't really remember much about vegans specifically except for a rastafari guy I met at Dania beach a few times, but I imagine there can only be more vegans and vegan friendly places.

Thanks Goob - I'll keep looking. Maybe I'll find the Rasta guy. 8)
alanmaldonado

Postby Lai » Mon Jul 23, 2012 8:04 pm

Hi Alan, welcome to South Florida! I'm in Fort Lauderdale, me and my boyfriend are vegan and I know a couple of vegans here too. Glad to have you here! There's a South Florida abolitionist vegan group on facebook you can join ( https://www.facebook.com/groups/138374824782/ ) and the creator of the group is M Butterflies Katz from http://thevegantruth.blogspot.com/

She might set up a vegan meet-up soon, looking forward to meeting you there!

Lai
Lai

Return to New member introductions