hello from portugal

Please introduce yourself here.

Moderators: hardcore iv, bronco, fredrikw, JP, Rochellita

hello from portugal

Postby happy bunny » Fri Mar 09, 2012 6:59 pm

Hi

I live in southern Portugal (ok, the Algarve!) and live a meat free, car free, tv free life. I own two bikes - a hybrid for shopping, touring and mooching and a road bike for adrenalin and fitness. I don't tend to 'join in' with the local social cycling clubs as they don't tend to have the same ethics and the veggies I know don't cycle! So I thought this forum would be just the thing :)
So hum
happy bunny

Re: hello from portugal

Postby Alistar » Sat Mar 10, 2012 9:06 am

Hey that shows some great discipline. Good on you

Do you do any roadbike races/events btw?
Sorry for my ignorance, but whats the countryside like in Portugal? Many hills etc?
Anyway welcome to the board! :)
Alistar

Postby happy bunny » Sun Mar 11, 2012 9:14 pm

Hi

I'm a real newby to road bikes, so currently just getting the hang of things! really flies though - love it.

As for the terrain here, going East to West or vice versa, (obviously!) the terrain is 'rolling' hills with a couple of harder climbs nearer the coast and flattening out nearer Spain (fairly strong westerlies though). Heading North, the hills get more serious - great training and fittening (is that a word..?) following the route of the 'volta ao algarve' (plenty of photos and vids through google - haven't put in a link as there's a lot of choice).
So hum
happy bunny

Postby loveliberate » Sun Mar 11, 2012 9:36 pm

Oi e bem-vindo! :D
“I do not love the bright sword for it's sharpness, nor the arrow for it's swiftness, nor the warrior for his glory. I love only that which they defend." http://www.a-human-right.com - http://www.corneredcat.com - http://www.aware.org
loveliberate

Postby xrodolfox » Mon Mar 12, 2012 8:04 am

Welcome!
I wish I was living a car free life.
I hate driving.
"The worker has the right to leave his boss, but can she do it? And if she does quit him, is it in order to lead a free life; where she will have no master but herself? No, she leaves to sell herself to another employer. She's driven by the same hunger. Thus the worker's liberty is only a theoretical freedom, lacking any means of realization; an utter falsehood."
-Bakunin
xrodolfox
Site Admin

Postby happy bunny » Mon Mar 12, 2012 9:52 pm

oi! como vais? I know Portland (as it was when I was there!) as my cousin is from Lake Oswego! Prefer the new name, Cascadia though even though I used to live fairly near Portland in the UK!

Thanks for your greetings - going for an 80 km ride tomorrow just to have lunch at a great Indian restaurant - got to work off the carbs somehow!
So hum
happy bunny

Postby happy bunny » Mon Mar 12, 2012 10:04 pm

hi xrodolfox

It was quite tough getting my head around what I perceived to be the limitations of a car free life. I've since discovered that I have so much more time. I tend to think things through more clearly and don't make 'wasted' journeys any more! Giving up tv was MUCH harder!

Everything here is basically within cycling distance as is the train station if I want/need it.
So hum
happy bunny

Return to New member introductions