New from Upstate NY

Please introduce yourself here.

Moderators: hardcore iv, bronco, fredrikw, JP, Rochellita

New from Upstate NY

Postby jmiller » Tue Oct 18, 2011 4:03 pm

Hi, all! I'm a newb from NY. I've been a vegetarian for 12 years and have recently gone to a vegan diet. I compete in professional timbersports and do some running races here and there. I'm excited to connect with other athletes who share some similiar views. I've spent the last 18 months working hard in the gym, too, for strength and conditioning for competitions. I am just getting back into my winter lifting routine (3x/week) after a summer 2 day split.

A little taste of what I do...my last chop of this past season. not my greatest work but it was amazing to win: http://youtu.be/vhASyRQ0-6g

It was an elimination event. 16 women, whittled down to the two of us in the finals. I'm in the blue tank top. :)

Thanks!
jmiller

Re: New from Upstate NY

Postby kallefs » Tue Oct 18, 2011 4:10 pm

Welcome!
Had to google "timbersport" :) soo cool! Although I was a bit worried about your feet in the video :wink:
Dum di dum!
kallefs

Postby vegan hal » Tue Oct 18, 2011 4:37 pm

Welcome! damn you are very strong! And while i do quite a bit of log splitting myself (for supplemental winter heat), i too was worried for your feet. great job!

What part of update NY? I lived in Syracuse 87-91.
vegan hal

Postby jmiller » Tue Oct 18, 2011 4:43 pm

kallefs wrote:Welcome!
Had to google "timbersport" :) soo cool! Although I was a bit worried about your feet in the video :wink:
LOL Thank you for the welcome! I do wear protective gear in my shoes. Most of us wear chain mail footies and then wire guard sewn on to protect the shins. I wouldn't chop without it. ;)
jmiller

Postby loveliberate » Tue Oct 18, 2011 4:47 pm

So... let me see if I get this right - you are a lumberjack AND you are ok?! :shock:

Alright then: Hello & Welcome! :D
Last edited by loveliberate on Tue Oct 18, 2011 4:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.
“I do not love the bright sword for it's sharpness, nor the arrow for it's swiftness, nor the warrior for his glory. I love only that which they defend." http://www.a-human-right.com - http://www.corneredcat.com - http://www.aware.org
loveliberate

Postby jmiller » Tue Oct 18, 2011 4:48 pm

vegan hal wrote:Welcome! damn you are very strong! And while i do quite a bit of log splitting myself (for supplemental winter heat), i too was worried for your feet. great job!

What part of update NY? I lived in Syracuse 87-91.
Awe. Thanks. :oops: And yep, foot protection is a MUST! we hide it in our shoes.

The 'CUSE!!! LOL I'm about an hour south of Rochester. But I spent 5 years in Syracuse (1999-2004) for college (SUNY ESF) and worked before transferring my job to where I am now. :D
jmiller

Postby jmiller » Tue Oct 18, 2011 4:50 pm

loveliberate wrote:So... let me see if I get this right - you are a lumberjack AND you are ok?! :shock:

Alright then: Hello & Welcome! :D
ROFL! Well, if "ok" is a relative term then sure... ;) Thanks for the welcome! :D
jmiller

Postby dublin dave » Tue Oct 18, 2011 9:51 pm

Welcome...awesome video... 8)
dublin dave

Postby vegan hal » Tue Oct 18, 2011 10:29 pm

ahhh you're a "stumpy!" : :lol:

one of my housemates junior year was a "stumpy" and a damn good rugby player too.

I loved it up there, but the winters are brutal!. I don't miss the snow. But I still root for for the Orange every year! and secretly I hope the Buffalo Bills can do something this year. I love a good underdog.
vegan hal

Postby soniczip » Wed Oct 19, 2011 6:38 am

scary&cool at the same time :shock: welcome home :D
i'm focusing on some kind of stuff
soniczip

Postby baldy » Wed Oct 19, 2011 7:37 am

Now that is a cool sport, do people get you to come around and chop wood "to help you train"?
"A wise man once said, "It's easier to buy smaller clothes, than to put on 5kg." ... Buzz
baldy
Site Admin

Postby jmiller » Wed Oct 19, 2011 11:09 am

dublin dave - Thanks for the welcome! You all are so nice! I love it!

vegan hal - woot woot stumpies!!! LOL yeah the winters were rough up there. I don't miss that one bit! I keep up a little bit on SU teams. It would be nice to see their football team get their act together. :\

soniczip – LOL It’s good to be home. yeah, it can be scary…

Probably my proudest and scariest moment this season…

First chick to complete a springboard chop in competition. AND I didn’t finish dead last!!! Hahaha One guy didn’t finish. ;) This is one of the goals I have set for myself and what I hope women in my sport start to aim for. I made silly errors that I blame on nerves and obvious lack of experience. So next season I will be doing more of this event. A lot of men chop over 10 minutes in their first attempt so doing it in almost 9 minutes! I was amped!! :D

baldy – Thanks! I love what I do and this past season has been my best, hands down. I attribute a lot of that to my time spent in the gym, training my tail off at home and my jack partner pushing me farther than I thought I could go. LOL And yes, people have mentioned that if I want to train I can come over and split their fire wood. :P I’m 95% sure the hubs keeps me around to just to be a little work pony. ;) hehehe

Thank you all for such a warm welcome! :D
jmiller

Postby Konstantin » Wed Oct 19, 2011 1:32 pm

I had no idea this was a sport and hope it expands to over here.

And welcome to VF.
You can see my training log if you're really bored: [url]www.veganfitness.net/viewtopic.php?f=8&t=16086&start=360[/url]
Konstantin

Postby vegan hal » Wed Oct 19, 2011 1:40 pm

Konstantin wrote:I had no idea this was a sport and hope it expands to over here.

And welcome to VF.

yeah I could see Jonathan doing this.

that 2nd video is amazing. that fall wasn't any fun especially with a sharp axe in hand. i've had similar scary moments climbing to platforms with a running chainsaw. be careful and have fun.

you've got some ripped shoulders and arms. impressive. i'm sure many folks would love to follow a training log.
vegan hal

Postby jmiller » Wed Oct 19, 2011 5:33 pm

Konstantin wrote:I had no idea this was a sport and hope it expands to over here.

And welcome to VF.
We're EvErYwHeRe!!!!! :shock: There are competitors from England. Men have a much better edge in this sport as Stihl (chainsaw & outdoor equipment manufacturer) sponsors the Stihl Timbersports Series. There were World Championships in Roermond, Holland this past September. Guys from all over Europe, Aus., NZ, US, Canada.
jmiller

Next

Return to New member introductions