Finally Found You!!!

Please introduce yourself here.

Moderators: hardcore iv, bronco, fredrikw, JP, Rochellita

Would you or could you be in a serious relationship with a non vegan?

Yes
33%
No
33%
As long as the person was at least vegetarian
20%
Date, yes. Serious relationship, no.
3%
Undecided
10%
Don't Care
No votes
What does this have to do with Fitness?
No votes

Total votes : 30

Finally Found You!!!

Postby barbara » Sun Jun 20, 2004 10:48 pm

Hi There!!!

My name is Barbara. :) I live in beautiful BC, Canada! I have been looking for a site like this for a very long time and found your link on the Vegan Voices message board.

I am looking forward to sharing and learning. Everything I have been reading so far on this forum has been extremely interesting!

Thanks for being here! It can be tough being vegan in an omnivore world sometimes, especially in the fitness area (so many doing Atkins here :? !)
barbara

Postby funfetus » Mon Jun 21, 2004 1:27 am

Hi Barbara, welcome to the board. :)

I voted "Undecided". My girlfriend is lacto-ovo veg, and I obviously don't have a problem with her. Of course, I'd like her to go vegan, but eh. The thing about this whole thing is that you're cutting yourself off from a huge number (the vast majority) of people who you may be able to have a great, enriching relationship with. Besides, you may be able to enlighten them a bit.

However, it's difficult for me to even watch someone eat meat now. I don't know how I'd manage a relationship with someone who does. I guess this is a "wait and see" kind of thing.
funfetus

Postby CENTURION 2 CENTS » Mon Jun 21, 2004 2:40 am

Welcome Barb!! .....Is shortening of your name okay like that??

I voted 'NO' coz I'm stubborn mo fo!.... and don't really care for polls unless they are conclusive/conducive and fool-proof, etc. (no offence)

Being "Undecided" about "less than vegan relationships" is not a word I would use really- bekoz, I know where I stand, in that
I am vegan, its others transitioning or would be vegans that don't, but yer know thats the catch we need to address in having
on hand information to pass on at the right moment so that introduction
to veganism is neat and not a daunting experience to the altering dietee making the switch, and so there, to console and positively coerce :lol: an interested person needs to be done right first time to give them best possible uptake of what veganism is about so that those of whom need encouragement to make the leap from veg to vegan can get it in practically almost one leap IMO. :)

I say to all that VeganFitness is an apsolute haven for vegans, and like yourself I pretty damn waited my whole life for something resembling this board to exist
and come into being... so a long time for me too... its sooo nice to chill knowing what a nice board this is and that likely it is here to stay too! :D I like everything about it. Its absolutely no stress and caters for all in a no sweat environment (apart from when you are working out) :lol: and is totally friendly.
ЖЖЖЖЖЖЖЖЖЖ health-enthusiast-*vegan*-fitness-guru-fanatic--with passion-for-exercise & mind. Spiritual-into vitality-wellbeing-weights, compassion, eco-sustaining lifestyle.. (the only lifestyle)
CENTURION 2 CENTS

Postby barbara » Mon Jun 21, 2004 2:47 am

Hi Brandon,

Thank you for the welcome! I am just curious to see how others feel about it. I have been called a hypocrite as I am in a relationship with someone who is almost vegetarian (eats eggs, dairy and fish)

When I met him, he was a complete omnivore, meat and potatoes kind of guy. As he learned about where his meat came from, he could no longer eat it and is very passionate about animal rights now. Although not a vegan (YET!), I am completely fine with where he is right now.

In my case, dietary choices do not affect my friendships or relationships with people, although compassion for animals does. (such as I don't think I could really care about a person if he knew about factory farming cruelty and could care less etc)

I am just wondering how others feel about this.
barbara

Postby barbara » Mon Jun 21, 2004 3:00 am

Hi CENTURION 2 CENTS!

Yes, Barb is fine with me! Wow this forum is happening! I just replied and your post beat me!

I feel the same way as you do about finding this message board. So many interesting topics! Looking forward to some interesting conversations with you!!! I absolutely admire vegans like you that seem to be unafraid. I am somewhat of a more passive vegan living in a vegan unfriendly city so finding this forum is especially comforting!
barbara

Postby Malcolms Billy » Mon Jun 21, 2004 6:16 am

Hi Barbara,

welcome to the board! The more the merrier I'd say :)

As for your poll, I've voted 'no'. I do have friends who aren't vegan, and I know that they'll never be, whether I'm friends with them or not. Having a close relationship with someone is different (at least for me) tho. Tried it once, with someone who wasn't vegan and it didn't work. Off course the fact that someone's vegan would not mean a relationship would automatically work, but I know that them not being vegan would pretty much guarantee that it won't, so I won't bother again.

See ya,
Billy
Malcolms Billy

my thoughts

Postby VeganEssentials » Mon Jun 21, 2004 7:14 am

I'd say "yes" for one reason - I was anything but vegan when my wife met me, and look how things turned out :D

To me, it is the same as saying that I wouldn't be with someone who didn't share my political or religious views - I don't believe that every couple has to start out as a perfect match, and that sometimes all it takes is time and one will follow the other's lead if it is meant to be. Veganism is a huge part of my life, but if for some reason I started over and was looking for someone else, I don't think I'd exclude anyone who seemed to be ideal in a million ways all because one didn't seem to be what I wanted. But, that's just me, and I know that a lot of vegans have different opinions on this one!

Ryan
VeganEssentials

Postby Mary » Mon Jun 21, 2004 8:08 am

I'd say no, because I have been there, and like Billy's experience, it failed. I did get a beautiful vegan son out of it though. :D

The man I am with now is my perfect bloke. He is vegan, has been campaigning for animal rights and veganism for about fifteen years since he first realised what was going on in the world, and is my personal hero. 8) So obviously I am not going out with anyone else! However, I wouldn't disaprove of somebody else gradually veganising another partner. I know that I couldn't kiss a meat eater though - I remember what it was like. I used to want to puke! He went vegan for a year and a half, but went back when we broke up, so it doesn't always work.
Mary

Postby JO » Mon Jun 21, 2004 3:39 pm

Honestly, I have never been involved with a vegan or a vegetarian. I have always been drawn to my total opposite. Indeed, a former partner once joked "you're left wing, I'm right wing -- together we'll fly straight!" Although that never happens, either, it's usually an interesting and productive trip. :)

JO
JO

Postby Strix » Mon Jun 21, 2004 4:31 pm

Yes, for me.

Many people can be convinced through a loving example of acceptance. I believe it's the best way.

Welcome, Barbara! :)
"The hand that signed the paper felled a city;
Five sovereign fingers taxed the breath,
Doubled the globe of dead and halved a country;
These five kings did a king to death."
-Dylan Thomas
Strix

Postby kettlebellnut » Mon Jun 21, 2004 5:02 pm

I think my wife is finally convinced to become Vegan. She has been resistant, but seeing my progress, and having some baby-weight left to lose, she is making some signals. I haven't pressured her, but I when I cook it's Vegan and I will not buy animal products at the store.

Barb, I see you're from BC. I was in Vancouver in May and found a great Bhuddist Veg Resturant in China-Town. Yummy. I may be back up that way this fall for a family vacation. Do you know any tasty places we should try?
kettlebellnut

Postby barbara » Mon Jun 21, 2004 7:01 pm

I live in Richmond (the airport city and the one you pass through if coming from the Peace Arch border)

Not exactly a very vegan friendly city. We do however have many Chinese and Japanese restuarants that will serve vegan dishes on request. Definitely Bo Kong! It has fantastic vegan food (Buddist Vegetarian Resturant)

I would suggest crossing the bridge and going to Kitsilano in Vancouver. Chinatown is east and Kitsilano is the farthest to the west. It is gorgeous there with lots of beach! I would say it is our vegan capital! Tons of great places to eat there. Stick to 4th Avenue (the main street) and you can walk to most of the places.

Vancouver City in general has a number of good vegetarian/vegan restaurants. I would be happy to let you know which good ones will be close by to you. Do you know what area you plan on staying? I can PM you a few places I would definitely recommend on your next visit.
barbara

Postby Kristi » Mon Jun 21, 2004 9:16 pm

I voted "yes" in your poll. I only became vegan about 2-3 months ago and I've been with my partner, Jason, for 6 years. There's no WAY that I would ever give up what I have with him (unless it was revealed that he was the root of all evil or something :lol: ). He's a great guy, and while he's still an omnivore, he's been making a transition towards a more vegetarian diet. I do pretty much all the cooking & shopping, so he eats what I eat most of the time :twisted: . Also, I make an effort to cook things that I know he'll like so that he'll have a positive view of vegan food. Even when I was an omnivore I hated cooking meat, so we rarely had it at home. Jason quite likes the vegan meals that I've been cooking, so I think maybe eventually he'll make the transition. I hope!!! One thing though - the kissing thing bothers me too. He knows that I just can't unless he's brushed his teeth first. Even then, it kinda wigs me out. I won't give up on him though! I guess my point is that maybe if I make him aware of the issues and expose him to delicious vegan food I can have a positive impact and help him eventually make the transition.

-Kristi
"Don't cry because it's over - smile because it happened. " - unknown
Kristi

Postby JP » Sun Jun 27, 2004 10:49 pm

if all vegans would only date non-vegans, turn them vegan, dump them and move to next one, the world would be vegan in no time :D Hence, i voted "undecided"...

By the way, i was just joking (before Rochelle strangles me!)
JP
Site Admin

Postby Malcolms Billy » Mon Jun 28, 2004 7:10 am

Rochelle strangling you? You been training with them grippers then, Rochelle? Because if you can close Joni's throat you might well become the first woman to close the nr 3! :lol: (only joking you two! don't come round to practice on me alright!)
Nice to have yous back by the way - although I'm sure you wished that you were sat by a Finnish lake with your laptop instead of Manc city. :?

See ya,
Malcolm's Billy
Malcolms Billy

Next

Return to New member introductions