I need Sleep!

New vegan products out there? Queries about products, ingredients, vegan supplements?

Moderators: hardcore iv, bronco, fredrikw, JP, Rochellita

I need Sleep!

Postby blackdaisies » Sat Feb 21, 2004 4:52 pm

Lately, I've been having trouble sleeping (stress, yep!). I really need a full night sleep, so I was wondering if anyone could recommend any safe herbal remedies or even over-the-counter sleep pills I can take. I usually don't like taking any excess supplements, but in this case, I'm desperate. I wouldn't ask unless I was.

Thanks!
blackdaisies

Postby Rochellita » Sat Feb 21, 2004 6:44 pm

hello

Valerian worked for me when I was sleeping badly, it's pretty powerful and thoroughly vile tasting. If you can get the root from somewhere (I get mine from Neil's Yard in the UK- natural cosmetics and herbalist) and make a tea infusion, that's your best bet. You should be able to get them in veggie-cap form as well. It's a well-known herbal remedy so shouldn't be that hard to find, though I know that some countries have strict laws governing herbal remedies.

Hope it works for you.

Rochelle
Rochellita
Site Admin

Postby Strix » Sun Feb 22, 2004 10:13 pm

I don't have sleep issues often, but, when I do, I like valerian too; I use the tincture in a bit of water, then wash it down with some juice or something right away :).
I really like kavakava as well, though if you have kidney/liver problems, it's best to try something else; and not take it for too long.

When I really need to be knocked out :) I take melatonin. Only caveat is that it will knock you out, but not keep you asleep, if that's your issue. It works like a dream for me.

None of these are non-addictive.
Strix

sleep sleep

Postby prefab » Sun Feb 22, 2004 10:51 pm

I used to think I had chronic sleep problems and that I would never be a morning person, but things have changed fortunately. My suggestions are:
1) get on a regular sleep schedule
2) drink more water-chronic dehydration symptoms include fatigue early evening only to find a second wind after 9:30pm often with a sugar craving
3) run in the mornings
4) drink some tea grab a hot bath w/ sea salt and candles low grade ambient noise, jazz, classical
4a) stop eating 3-4hours before bedtime-Hgh release (this is the main thing that keeps you young) is inhibited by late night insulin release from munchin before bed
4b) massage i forgot and i love them
4c) lover's backrub/scratch till asleep woot!
this is bad...
5) if all else fails i might find that other herbal remedy and pass pass give
Last edited by prefab on Mon Feb 23, 2004 11:52 am, edited 2 times in total.
prefab

Postby blackdaisies » Mon Feb 23, 2004 4:44 am

Thank you for all the suggestions!

Strix, I'm very wary about taking melatonin, as I've read somewhere of some not nice side effects. Mind you, this was some time ago and I can't find any of the sources now.

I'm also wondering about St. John's Wort as I read that it was also effective in aiding insomnia. ??? Anyone have any experiences?

I'll try Valerian though, but I don't think I'll be able to find it in it's root form. Hopefully the local herbal store will sell it in tinctures. Thanks guys, I'll let you know how it turns out.

zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz
blackdaisies

Postby blackdaisies » Mon Feb 23, 2004 4:50 am

Prefab, those are great ideas for anyone. At this point, I'm at #5. :)
blackdaisies

Postby prefab » Mon Feb 23, 2004 11:51 am

make it bc nug then please or madagaskan thunderphuk lol. be good I forgot the other one join a massage club or treat yourself with 90mins.
prefab

Postby GenTDuke » Mon Feb 23, 2004 3:13 pm

I suffer from insomnia to, dont get reliant on valerian as you will become immune: I have, just use it every other day.

You should try meditating before you go to bed, this helps me to clear my mind which helps me to get to sleep faster, the only reson I cant sleep is my mind is constantley active, the trick is to supress the ego through meditation and sleep will come.

I read that hawthorn is good for insomnia but I havent tried that yet.
GenTDuke

Postby Mary » Tue Feb 24, 2004 9:43 pm

Here is a hippy remedy (the nutmegs and hops come from me ould granny) called "sleepy tea".

I cup dandelion,
1 cup nettle,
3 cups hops,
1 cup lemon grass (cut it out if you have vivid dreams)
grate a teaspoons worth of nutmeg.
1 cup "Lus Mor", which turns out to be St John's Wort, so it must work reasonably well.

Provisos - be very careful indeed with nutmeg. When fresh ground from the nut it really does knock you out. Just remember, within twenty minutes it will have oxidised, and won't work nearly as well.

Do not, under any circumstances, use lemon grass if you have a tendency to hallucinate, okay?

Lus mor is fine, just not if you are pregnant.

Valerian is also good for this (one cup) but remember, if you use it every time it will give you a)headaches, b) dependancy. (Where do you think they get valium from?) So don't add valerian every night. In fact I would only use it one in three at most.
Mary

Postby blackdaisies » Wed Feb 25, 2004 5:21 pm

Thanks for the help guys. I usually try to get myself to read before I go to bed (just pulp), and that kind of helps in a similar way meditation does in that it focuses or stills my thoughts when I finally do turn the lights out.

I bought some Valerian tablets (made sure there were no animal ingredients listed). They smell really strong, and the smell stays on my fingers. Is that normal? :o But anyway, I've taken it twice in the past few days. Definitely right about the morning headaches, as well, I noticed I'm more dehydrated than I usually am.

I'll let you know if my insomnia gets cured. :)
blackdaisies

Postby Mary » Wed Feb 25, 2004 6:30 pm

The stinky smell is normal as well, unfortunately. Or maybe fortunately, since it puts people off the addictive things. Honest to god, try fresh nutmeg. One to two teaspoons at most. Works for me.

Three whole nutmegs will kill you though, so don't go bonkers! A whole nutmeg will cause you to hallucinate - I don't know from personal experience, but a friend of mine discovered this accidentally. For some reason she decided to eat a whole nutmeg, and realised things were not quite right when an apple tree suddenly appeared in her bedroom with all the apples little faces singing at her. :shock:

Weird.
Mary

Postby Kaz » Thu Mar 04, 2004 12:09 am

For some reason she decided to eat a whole nutmeg, and realised things were not quite right when an apple tree suddenly appeared in her bedroom with all the apples little faces singing at her.

That's pretty funny!

I have suffered from delayed sleep phase insomnia since early childhood. I take melatonin, but recently it seems to have become less effective. I have found that meditating helps, and am getting back into that - even if you don't sleep, meditating helps you feel better, so it's A Good Thing in my book. Valerian doesn't seem to do much for me.

I'll try the sleepy tea/nutmeg solution. If it works well for me, I shall be completely thrilled. By the by, can this be done long-term, or would it only be wise as a short-term solution?
"An unexamined life is not worth living." - Socrates
Kaz

Postby GenTDuke » Sat Mar 06, 2004 12:39 am

You guys may of heard of Hemi-sync, I use it to induce sleep when my insomnia is realy bad (practicly every night). you can download the software at bwgen.com. It can also help you cheat at mediatation if you dont have the focus to clear your mind.
GenTDuke

Postby Mary » Sat Mar 06, 2004 7:43 am

Like everything else, I would only use nutmeg in the short term - although you may know it is reasonably safe, as a sprinkle of nutmeg and hot milk (not very vegan, but there you go) is a traditional recipe for colicky kids. (Obviously we would use soya - or even better almond milk.) Give your body a break from it on a regular basis, or you will get too used to it, and it won't work. Also, you would get weird dreams.
Mary

Postby Mary » Mon Mar 08, 2004 7:33 pm

Hey wow! That website with the downloads that you told us about, www.bwgen.com is brilliant - the hemysinc thing works really well. I want to get it on my lap top, because it does colours as well, but the sound is really effective at helping you relax/meditate. Seamus liked it too (sea being seven and not needing help with meditation) but I found it incredibly effective.

So if anyone else needs some help with meditation, relaxing, etc, give it a try!

Sorry to rave. I sound like the Daz woman. "This product washed my brain whiter than white." :roll: Sheesh. Still, some things are worth raving about.
Mary

Next

Return to Vegan Products and Supplements