Uses for vitamin C?

New vegan products out there? Queries about products, ingredients, vegan supplements?

Moderators: hardcore iv, bronco, fredrikw, JP, Rochellita

Uses for vitamin C?

Postby Linnéa76 » Mon Aug 20, 2012 9:01 pm

I ordered some calcium ascorbate powder on the web and got a larger tub than expected, so
will only be able to use a fraction of it for the purpose I got it for. (Being a bit of a skincare nerd, I
make my own vitamin C serum). So, the most obvious use would be to eat it but I think as a vegan
I probably don't need any extra vit C? I have heard of benefits of taking more than RDI but have
also been told that it's not so good for your kidneys... What do you think? Anything else it can be
used for?
-Talk is cheap-
Linnéa76

Re: Uses for vitamin C?

Postby baldy » Tue Aug 21, 2012 7:50 am

If you bake you can add it to bread, it is meant to make bread stay fresher for longer.
Fairly common to take it as a supplement, I take the fizzy ones which are really high over the RDA, like 1000%.
No idea about the health risks to your kidneys.
"A wise man once said, "It's easier to buy smaller clothes, than to put on 5kg." ... Buzz
baldy
Site Admin

Postby Hiking Fox » Tue Aug 21, 2012 8:26 am

If you snort it, it makes you feel a bit high.
Hiking Fox

Postby loveliberate » Tue Aug 21, 2012 1:51 pm

Hiking Fox wrote:If you snort it, it makes you feel a bit high.

Dammit Foxxy, you did it again!! Just as I'd decided "no, no, I really shouldn't post a smart ass reply like Snort it! " there you go beating me to the punch!! :lol:
“I do not love the bright sword for it's sharpness, nor the arrow for it's swiftness, nor the warrior for his glory. I love only that which they defend." http://www.a-human-right.com - http://www.corneredcat.com - http://www.aware.org
loveliberate

Postby Linnéa76 » Tue Aug 21, 2012 8:26 pm

Hiking Fox wrote:If you snort it, it makes you feel a bit high.

Sure why not, I always inhale my protein powder already.
-Talk is cheap-
Linnéa76

Postby Linnéa76 » Sun Sep 02, 2012 9:52 am

Thought I'd report back from my google scholar search... Seems like calcium ascorbate is considered a very safe supplement,
with high bio-availability and good for bone health. Used topically, it' said to moisturize better than ascorbic acid. Maybe I'll
take some of it as a supplement during the winter after all!

In case anyone's interested, I found that it dissolves more easily than ascorbic acid when making skin serum and it does seem to moisturize better.
Being a more stable form of vit c means it should keep better but also makes it less acidic, so it doesn't have the same exfoliating effect as ascorbic acid.
A mixture of the two forms would probably be optimal.. Image
-Talk is cheap-
Linnéa76

Postby Gulliver » Sun Sep 02, 2012 11:36 am

I think that the vitamin C RDA is the minimum you need to avoid scurvy. Your body can use quite a lot more of it if it's there. I add it to smoothies - it gives it a kind of zesty tang.
Herbivorous Rex - Higher-protein vegan recipes with bad food photography.
Use the code MP135271 to get 5% off at MyProtein (including rice, pea, hemp and soya protein)!
Gulliver

Postby muchluv » Sun Sep 02, 2012 11:58 am

“Vitamin C is taken safely at 100mg per kg, three times a day in ill health,” says Dr Asher. “So if you are 80kg, you can have 8,000mg three times a day if you’re sick. If you’re fine, then excess vit C is passed through the colon.”

"Symptoms of vitamin C overdose are relatively harmless – bloating, gas, and a potentially troublesome intestinal time of it"

It also says, in good health, you can only use 100% of the RDA.

From: http://www.menshealth.co.uk/building-mu ... upplements"

This is quite an interesting article. The guy lives off supplements for 1 week. Good info in there. I would recommend.
Although the effeminate nature of my username may suggest otherwise, my gender actually falls into the male category.
muchluv
The VF YouTube Guvnor

Postby Linnéa76 » Sun Sep 02, 2012 6:51 pm

muchluv wrote:“Vitamin C is taken safely at 100mg per kg, three times a day in ill health,” says Dr Asher. “So if you are 80kg, you can have 8,000mg three times a day if you’re sick. If you’re fine, then excess vit C is passed through the colon.”

This is interesting, I would have liked to hear more about the mechanisms that makes the body use more vit c when you're sick.
-Talk is cheap-
Linnéa76

Postby Gulliver » Mon Sep 03, 2012 6:52 pm

muchluv wrote:"Symptoms of vitamin C overdose are relatively harmless – bloating, gas, and a squirty bum"
I know this because I lived alone for 6 months and I get spend too much time on the internet.
Herbivorous Rex - Higher-protein vegan recipes with bad food photography.
Use the code MP135271 to get 5% off at MyProtein (including rice, pea, hemp and soya protein)!
Gulliver

Postby Linnéa76 » Mon Sep 03, 2012 7:24 pm

Gulliver wrote:
muchluv wrote:"Symptoms of vitamin C overdose are relatively harmless – bloating, gas, and a squirty bum"
I know this because I lived alone for 6 months and I get spend too much time on the internet.

Eww... I thought "potentially troublesome intestinal time" was a perfectly good euphemism. :lol:
-Talk is cheap-
Linnéa76

Return to Vegan Products and Supplements