Are these fairtrade cookies vegan?

New vegan products out there? Queries about products, ingredients, vegan supplements?

Moderators: hardcore iv, bronco, fredrikw, JP, Rochellita

Are these fairtrade cookies vegan?

Postby Lordmuppet » Sat Aug 04, 2012 10:45 am

As far as I can see yes. Couldn't figure out what the hell disodium disphosphate is though even after some googling. There is also the usual question mark with sugar I suppose though to be honest that's one of those things I let slide (cue throwing of rotten vegetables).

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Traidcraft-Trade-Double-Chocolate-Cookies/dp/B005OJBRAY

chocolate being 'plain' means vegan mostly likely yeah?

apparently acetic acid can be vegan or not vegan.

Oh and the pack says suitable for vegetarians but doesn't mention vegans.

certainly are tasty!

screw it i'll email them
JS - They think it will open the door to folk like LordMuppet campaigning for a threeway?
Lordmuppet
Muppet Moderator

Re: Are these fairtrade cookies vegan?

Postby Catt Queen » Sat Aug 04, 2012 11:14 am

According to their detail on Goodness Direct they contain egg -

http://www.goodnessdirect.co.uk/cgi-local/frameset/detail/751475_Traidcraft_Chocolate_Chunk_Cookies_200g.html

Natural collection site says egg too... though one poster on there seems to think they used to be vegan.

http://www.naturalcollection.com/reviews/traidcraft/traidcraft-fairtrade-double-chocolate-chip-cookies-200g/
Allie =^..^=
http://www.stronger.me.uk
Find me on Facebook
Courage, sacrifice, determination, commitment, toughness, heart, talent, guts.
That's what little girls are made of; to hell with sugar and spice.
Catt Queen

Postby baldy » Sat Aug 04, 2012 11:57 am

Maybe that is the "New Recipe", the old ones certainly did not have egg listed in the ingredients.
"A wise man once said, "It's easier to buy smaller clothes, than to put on 5kg." ... Buzz
baldy
Site Admin

Postby Lordmuppet » Sat Aug 04, 2012 12:51 pm

Catt Queen wrote:According to their detail on Goodness Direct they contain egg -

http://www.goodnessdirect.co.uk/cgi-local/frameset/detail/751475_Traidcraft_Chocolate_Chunk_Cookies_200g.html

Natural collection site says egg too... though one poster on there seems to think they used to be vegan.

http://www.naturalcollection.com/reviews/traidcraft/traidcraft-fairtrade-double-chocolate-chip-cookies-200g/

yeah the ingredient list on the ones I got didn't have eggs. Or maybe i picked a different one from the range. There are about 3 different types i think.

Also if you look at the link i put up no mention of eggs there either :)

edited to say: anyway i've emailed them so we'll find out :)

edited to add: ingredients from their amazon page

"Wheat Flour, *Sugar (19.9%), Vegetable Fat, Plain Chocolate Chunks [16.7%]: [*Sugar (8.4%), *Cocoa Mass (7.0%), *Cocoa Butter (1.2%), Emulsifier: Soya Lecithin], Oats, Invert Sugar Syrup [2.7%]: [*Sugar (2.2%), Water], *Cocoa Powder (1.6%), Raising Agents: [Sodium Bicarbonate, Disodium Diphosphate (Disodium Diphosphate, Wheat Flour, Salt)], Flavouring, Glucose Syrup, Colours: [Iron Oxide, Vegetable Carbon], Fat Reduced Cocoa Powder (0.04%), Flavouring, Acetic Acid."
JS - They think it will open the door to folk like LordMuppet campaigning for a threeway?
Lordmuppet
Muppet Moderator

Postby Catt Queen » Sat Aug 04, 2012 12:59 pm

I tend not to take reproduced ingredient lists as gospel as I've known people to miss things out... I've also known "new and improved" products to be shipped when I've ordered the original product.

Apparently Sainsbury sell some vegan choc chip cookies though I've not actually looked as I don't go in there often.
Allie =^..^=
http://www.stronger.me.uk
Find me on Facebook
Courage, sacrifice, determination, commitment, toughness, heart, talent, guts.
That's what little girls are made of; to hell with sugar and spice.
Catt Queen

Postby Hiking Fox » Sat Aug 04, 2012 1:31 pm

Lordmuppet wrote:There is also the usual question mark with sugar I suppose though to be honest that's one of those things I let slide (cue throwing of rotten vegetables).

Sugar is vegan.
Hiking Fox

Postby Lordmuppet » Sat Aug 04, 2012 2:01 pm

Hiking Fox wrote:
Lordmuppet wrote:There is also the usual question mark with sugar I suppose though to be honest that's one of those things I let slide (cue throwing of rotten vegetables).

Sugar is vegan.

good! so the bone char thing is a myth?
Lordmuppet
Muppet Moderator

Postby Lordmuppet » Sat Aug 04, 2012 2:02 pm

Catt Queen wrote:I tend not to take reproduced ingredient lists as gospel as I've known people to miss things out... I've also known "new and improved" products to be shipped when I've ordered the original product.

Apparently Sainsbury sell some vegan choc chip cookies though I've not actually looked as I don't go in there often.

yeah like i said the ones i bought (maybe not these exact ones) didn't have any egg in them when i checked the back :D

I shall report back soon!
Lordmuppet
Muppet Moderator

Postby Goob » Sat Aug 04, 2012 4:29 pm

Lordmuppet wrote:
Hiking Fox wrote:

Sugar is vegan.

good! so the bone char thing is a myth?

Not a myth. But, it is a waste of time to ask, because most companies get their sugar from different suppliers at different times or even several suppliers at once, so will not be able to tell you whether any of it was processed with bone char.
Mikhail Koklyaev wrote:Benedikt he is deadlift god , I'm only amateur
Goob

Postby muchluv » Sat Aug 04, 2012 7:53 pm

'Flavouring' or 'Natural Flavouring' is the ambiguous ingredient that bugs me in a lot of things.
Although the effeminate nature of my username may suggest otherwise, my gender actually falls into the male category.
muchluv
The VF YouTube Guvnor

Postby buzz » Sat Aug 04, 2012 9:17 pm

I eat them for breakfast sometimes, when I don't have waffles on rolls. Tasty, and calorific. Ingredient list looks ok to me.
buzz

Postby Hiking Fox » Sat Aug 04, 2012 9:52 pm

Lordmuppet wrote:good! so the bone char thing is a myth?

It wasn't a myth 50 years ago, but it is now. Certainly in Britain, anyway.
Hiking Fox

Postby thestoatyone » Sat Aug 04, 2012 10:27 pm

Isn't it only an issue for cane-derived sugar anyway? Like, beet-derived sugar is always fine or summit?
Vincit omnia pertinax virtus

My Log

muchluv wrote:When I grow up I want to be Gelert.
thestoatyone

Postby Adena » Sun Aug 05, 2012 3:33 am

Lordmuppet wrote:

"Wheat Flour, *Sugar (19.9%), Vegetable Fat, Plain Chocolate Chunks [16.7%]: [*Sugar (8.4%), *Cocoa Mass (7.0%), *Cocoa Butter (1.2%), Emulsifier: Soya Lecithin], Oats, Invert Sugar Syrup [2.7%]: [*Sugar (2.2%), Water], *Cocoa Powder (1.6%), Raising Agents: [Sodium Bicarbonate, Disodium Diphosphate (Disodium Diphosphate, Wheat Flour, Salt)], Flavouring, Glucose Syrup, Colours: [Iron Oxide, Vegetable Carbon], Fat Reduced Cocoa Powder (0.04%), Flavouring, Acetic Acid."

Just so you know, when it says Plain Chocolate Chunks then it has a list of a few things with brackets around them following it, [sugar, cocoa mass, cocoa butter, emulsifier: soya lecithin] those are the ingredients for the plain chocolate chunks. Does that make sense? I'd eat these. You should also just bake your own! :D
Adena

Postby Lordmuppet » Sun Aug 05, 2012 10:06 am

Adena wrote:
Lordmuppet wrote:

Just so you know, when it says Plain Chocolate Chunks then it has a list of a few things with brackets around them following it, [sugar, cocoa mass, cocoa butter, emulsifier: soya lecithin] those are the ingredients for the plain chocolate chunks. Does that make sense? I'd eat these. You should also just bake your own! :D

ah makes sense :) I'm not much of a cook sadly :(
Lordmuppet
Muppet Moderator

Next

Return to Vegan Products and Supplements