Condenced milk

New vegan products out there? Queries about products, ingredients, vegan supplements?

Moderators: hardcore iv, bronco, fredrikw, JP, Rochellita

Condenced milk

Postby chloe » Wed Feb 29, 2012 11:38 pm

This is what i found yesterday!!! still stoked with that revelation,..that it exists,.anyone tried this already? and tried cooking with it??
any good tips and ideas?
chloe

Re: Condenced milk

Postby lobsteriffic » Thu Mar 01, 2012 12:29 am

Is it sweetened condensed milk or just plain? I haven't seen a vegan version, but I used to use the sweetened stuff in baking in my pre-vegan days.
lobsteriffic

Postby xrodolfox » Thu Mar 01, 2012 3:22 am

if there is vegan condensed milk, I will throw away thousands of US$ at it.
WHERE CAN I GET THIS!?!?!
"The worker has the right to leave his boss, but can she do it? And if she does quit him, is it in order to lead a free life; where she will have no master but herself? No, she leaves to sell herself to another employer. She's driven by the same hunger. Thus the worker's liberty is only a theoretical freedom, lacking any means of realization; an utter falsehood."
-Bakunin
xrodolfox
Site Admin

Postby chloe » Thu Mar 01, 2012 4:14 am

haha Rodolfo i know!!! its a brilliant revelation! Its called ...Alimento com soja Condensado de soja. and its from a brazilian company
www.olvebra.com.br
and i havent tried it yet, id like to make it into caramel and use it for as a caramel banana pie, but was hoping someone else had some experience of it and some good tips or ideas. But im so surprised having lived in the two vegan meccas London and Berlin, that ive never come across it before now,..that is a deffinate fault in vegan globalisation id have to say.
and i can only assume its sweetened condencsed milk as the first ingredient is sugar :-)
chloe

Postby lobsteriffic » Thu Mar 01, 2012 5:23 am

I haven't used the vegan version of condensed milk so I'm not sure it would behave the same in a recipe, but I would probably find a non-vegan recipe and sub it in as an ingredient.

I'm so jealous - let us know how the caramel works! I'd love to make a dulce de leche!
lobsteriffic

Postby lover of cuttlefish » Mon Mar 05, 2012 10:49 pm

hey here you can get both regular and caramel condensed milk:

http://www.choosecrueltyfree.org.nz/foodStuffs.php

if you have trouble ordering xrodolfox let me know, and i'll see if I can sort something out!
lover of cuttlefish

Postby xrodolfox » Tue Mar 06, 2012 2:45 am

I will be purchasing these items ASAP.

I only miss a few items since going vegan, and one of them is "MANJAR", which I grew up eating in Chile. It is almost the same as the Argentine "dulce de leche". It isn't "caramel", but rather toasted sugars. It is amazing. I've had one vegan version, and it was so-so.

I will definitely be trying this on my own.

So much for hitting my target race weight.

edit: How the heck am I supposed to order these from Brazil via NZ? There's got to be direct to USA importer.
PS. I've gotten the dulce de soy before, and that was the one that was just OK. I'll try the condensed soy milk this go-around.
"The worker has the right to leave his boss, but can she do it? And if she does quit him, is it in order to lead a free life; where she will have no master but herself? No, she leaves to sell herself to another employer. She's driven by the same hunger. Thus the worker's liberty is only a theoretical freedom, lacking any means of realization; an utter falsehood."
-Bakunin
xrodolfox
Site Admin

Postby loveliberate » Tue Mar 06, 2012 3:24 am

Rodolfo,
You could ask VeganEssentials. They are virtually your neighbors over in WI! :D
“I do not love the bright sword for it's sharpness, nor the arrow for it's swiftness, nor the warrior for his glory. I love only that which they defend." http://www.a-human-right.com - http://www.corneredcat.com - http://www.aware.org
loveliberate

Postby skoptic » Tue Mar 06, 2012 9:58 am

Whoah, cool - good find! My favourite cake from childhood needs about 5 cans of this ;) ... so I'll be trying to find it in the UK..... cake ahoy!!!!!!
skoptic
Facebook Admin

Postby Alistar » Tue Mar 06, 2012 10:57 am

Yeah is quite delicious. Partner made "caramel slice" out of it after acquiring some about six months ago. 8) Don't come across those rich flavours/ textures much in a vegan sweet. Quite expensive but worth it.

Remember stealing spoonfulls of condensed cows milk out of the fridge as a kid... :lol:
Alistar

Postby Dawn » Fri Mar 09, 2012 1:47 pm

If anyone finds this in the UK I would be very happy! Let's keep our eyes out. I know you can make vegan fudge without condensed milk but just imagine it with!
If anyone else loves that kind of sweet, caramel/vanilla flavour I thoroughly recommend The Raw Chocolate Company's Vannofe chocolate bars. They are so good. I'm addicted, I eat one a week. Okay, that's not really properly addicted but I do love them.
Dawn

Postby Goob » Sun Mar 11, 2012 12:05 am

I've been making my own condensed soy milk for pumpkin pies since going vegan and it works just fine, so I would imagine canned condensed soy milk would be better because it will be more consistent. I've only condensed my own, but mixing powered soy milk with half the water called for in the directions is essentially the same thing. So, if you are having trouble finding the canned stuff and don't feel like stirring a pot of soy milk for hours, that is another option.
Mikhail Koklyaev wrote:Benedikt he is deadlift god , I'm only amateur
Goob

Postby skoptic » Sun Mar 11, 2012 8:25 pm

skoptic
Facebook Admin

Postby Dawn » Mon Mar 12, 2012 5:40 pm

Wow! Well found. I'm going to get some and see what goodies I can make! What a treat.
Dawn

Postby FormicaLinoleum » Wed Mar 21, 2012 10:42 am

skoptic wrote:http://www.amazon.co.uk/La-Guli-Soymilk-Condensed-Milk/dp/B005WVPE12/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1331497351&sr=8-1

UK .. amazon ... kerching

I ordered this, as back in the pre-gan days my partner absolutely loved condensed milk and would eat it from the can with a spoon.

She said the colour and texture of this stuff are slightly different, but the taste was incredibly similar. She absolutely loved it, and ate an entire can with a spoon within 12 hours. So, highly recommended!
- Liz
FormicaLinoleum

Return to Vegan Products and Supplements