Unicurd Tau Kwa - king of tofu?

New vegan products out there? Queries about products, ingredients, vegan supplements?

Moderators: hardcore iv, bronco, fredrikw, JP, Rochellita

Unicurd Tau Kwa - king of tofu?

Postby Herbsman » Sun Mar 11, 2012 6:08 pm

I love this stuff cut into cubes, marinated and then baked at gas mark 8 for 25-30 minutes. Wonderfully chewy and firm.

£0.90 for a 220g block which is about 12% protein. Lovely stuff.

Anyone else a fan? Any cheaper alternatives out there?
Herbsman

Re: Unicurd Tau Kwa - king of tofu?

Postby ninearms » Sun Mar 11, 2012 10:06 pm

Best non-flavoured tofu there is (best flavoured is Tofu King Spicy Tofu). Too firm for deep frying, but excellent for grilling and stir frying.

Made my own smoked tofu yesterday. Tasted great but now my house stinks of burnt tea, rice and sugar!
“Begin at the beginning,” the King said gravely, “and go on till you come to the end. Then stop.”
ninearms
Perked Member

Re: Unicurd Tau Kwa - king of tofu?

Postby beforewisdom » Sun Mar 11, 2012 11:03 pm

I avoid buying Asian grocery store tofu.

First, at least here in the U.S., Asian supermarkets can be a "little shop of horrors" of sights and smells.

Second, here in the U.S., most soybeans are GMO unless marked as organic. Same for Tofu and in the U.S., there have been many stories Chinese businesses not caring too much for accurate labelling or healthy ingredients.

I also wonder how much of the produce, tofu and soy products in Asian markets is imported......some things I consume will never be made locally, but I don't see why I should have tofu shipped to me from Asia.

"The plural of anecdote is not data." (Roger Brinner)
beforewisdom

Return to Vegan Products and Supplements