Vegan D3 is finally here

New vegan products out there? Queries about products, ingredients, vegan supplements?

Moderators: hardcore iv, bronco, fredrikw, JP, Rochellita

Vegan D3 is finally here

Postby hardcore iv » Fri Jul 29, 2011 4:01 pm

Found out earlier today from Hannibal that there is now a vegan D3 supplement available. It is certified by the vegan society. It's derived from lichen.

http://www.vitashine-d3.com/

It's not available until next month. This is big news.
"When you are born, you are set forth to die. The fact that you live or don't live between these two dates depends solely upon your own will, opportunities and desires. The weight exerciser, of course, indicates that he chooses to live." Joseph Curtis Hise
hardcore iv

Re: Vegan D3 is finally here

Postby Twoism » Fri Jul 29, 2011 11:52 pm

Very promising. I read this (http://kblog.lunchboxbunch.com/2010/02/ ... vegan.html) article the other day and it had me thinking. I've been tracking my nutrient intakes closely for the past month and I rarely get 100% of the VitD RDA, and obviously the VitD I do get in my diet is D2. But there's been some good weather recently so I've been getting 20-30mins in the sun every other day. Was planning on taking supplements throughout winter but wasn't sure which dosage or if D2 would be adequate. This stuff looks like the answer.
Twoism

Postby thestoatyone » Sat Jul 30, 2011 12:17 am

yeah sounds promising; felt like I got quite bad SAD last winter, wonder if this'll help. Ta for posting.
Vincit omnia pertinax virtus

My Log

muchluv wrote:When I grow up I want to be Gelert.
thestoatyone

Postby thestoatyone » Sat Jul 30, 2011 11:24 am

Just posted it on the UK Vegan societies facebook page to check if anyone else had come across it and make sure it is actually registered with them. Psyched about this.

My Log

thestoatyone

Postby hardcore iv » Sat Jul 30, 2011 1:06 pm

thestoatyone wrote:Just posted it on the UK Vegan societies facebook page to check if anyone else had come across it and make sure it is actually registered with them. Psyched about this.

Good move. This is the same company that makes the opti3 dha/epa supplement which is vegan society approved too. I'm pretty confident that this is the real thing and at a pretty good price too.
"When you are born, you are set forth to die. The fact that you live or don't live between these two dates depends solely upon your own will, opportunities and desires. The weight exerciser, of course, indicates that he chooses to live." Joseph Curtis Hise
hardcore iv

Postby Talyn » Sat Jul 30, 2011 1:50 pm

Hey that's cool. I take plenty of d2 but didn't realise that d3 was better quality.

I take around 4000-5000IU of d2 daily, seems like I'd not be able to get anywhere near that with this product though. Is a daily dose really 1000IU? That seems very low.
Talyn
User Activation Admin

Postby thestoatyone » Sat Jul 30, 2011 2:45 pm

Don't you need less d3 to get the same effect? I thought that was the reason for the excitement...

My Log

thestoatyone

Postby hardcore iv » Sun Jul 31, 2011 11:41 am

D3 can elevate levels more quickly than D2 but most of the recent research shows that long term it evens out, but I know a few people for whom this hasn't been the case. 1000IU is pretty low. All the recommendations are based on the amounts required to maintain bone health, not to correct deficiencies, so are very conservative. I'll probably take 5000IU daily and get tested after a couple of months to see what impact it made.
hardcore iv

Postby powerlifer » Sun Jul 31, 2011 5:30 pm

Vitamin D2 is inactive form of vitamin D, vitamin D2 coverts into Vitamin D3 in the liver.

From there the D3 must go through the kidneys where it converts to active vitamin D3. So yeah overall vitamin D3 is a better supplement.
Organic Herbal Products, Vega Cellular Foods, Vitashine Vegan Vitamin D3 Spray + More
http://www.amlaberry.co.uk
powerlifer

Postby Cade » Thu Aug 11, 2011 5:47 am

That's funny. I just visited their website and was going to post the info but you beat me to it.

I think this product looks promising and will buy it once it becomes available. However, there is solid data that show D2 will work just as effectively as D3 once in the blood, but D3 is better absorbed from what I've read.

In my case, I have to consume 5000IU in order to stay on the low end of normal. My blood work confirms this. So now I'm going to take 10,000IU each day. I was recently told that if one's D levels reach a hundred or more, you can add four years to your life. A nurse told me this. I don't know if it's true because I haven't searched for any studies to support her claim. Anyway, take your D people.
Cade

Postby powerlifer » Thu Aug 11, 2011 10:15 am

Just watch you don't build up to toxic levels with such high doses for long periods:).
Organic Herbal Products, Vega Cellular Foods, Vitashine Vegan Vitamin D3 Spray + More
http://www.amlaberry.co.uk
powerlifer

Postby DaveQB » Mon Sep 26, 2011 2:56 am

How can one check if a VitD supplement is Vegan exactly?

Looking at this one:
http://www.herbsofgold.com.au/products/product/1596
"Going to Macdonalds for salad is like going to a crackhouse for vitamins"
DaveQB

Postby hardcore iv » Mon Sep 26, 2011 4:19 am

DaveQB wrote:How can one check if a VitD supplement is Vegan exactly?

Looking at this one:
http://www.herbsofgold.com.au/products/product/1596

Yeah, that one is not vegan. If it was vegan they would be pointing it out on the label. Vitashine, and some chewing gum that veganessentials sells, are pretty much the only ones. All the other companies that claim to have a vegan D3, like the ones who claim they make it from mushrooms, have been found to have a poor understanding of veganism.

Vitamin D2 is always vegan, unless they add something non vegan to the pill. There are a few online vegan stores in australia where you can buy it, e.g. uproar, or you can get it from overseas.
hardcore iv

Postby DaveQB » Mon Sep 26, 2011 4:25 am

Thanks hardcore iv

So what makes the Herbs of Gold not vegan? The capsules?
"Going to Macdonalds for salad is like going to a crackhouse for vitamins"
DaveQB

Postby hardcore iv » Mon Sep 26, 2011 4:49 am

DaveQB wrote:Thanks hardcore iv

So what makes the Herbs of Gold not vegan? The capsules?

Nah, the D3 is derived from animals. I contacted them ages ago about the vegan-ness of their products. Some of them are, but not their D3 containing ones. The capsule would be a dealbreaker too.
hardcore iv

Next

Return to Vegan Products and Supplements