Sports drink powder

New vegan products out there? Queries about products, ingredients, vegan supplements?

Moderators: hardcore iv, bronco, fredrikw, JP, Rochellita

Sports drink powder

Postby baldy » Sat Apr 14, 2012 12:08 pm

I am getting fed up with buying powerade bottles every time I got to the gym. Does anyone have any recommendations on cheap powdered ideally isotonic sports drink that I can get?
Used the hi5 zero fizz tablets before and they taste great but I need the carbs.
So ideally something that tastes good and works out cheaper than buying premixed ones. Please no one tell me to drink water.
"A wise man once said, "It's easier to buy smaller clothes, than to put on 5kg." ... Buzz
baldy
Site Admin

Sports drink powder

Postby Talyn » Sat Apr 14, 2012 12:53 pm

I used Staminade then I was in Melbourne, you could buy it from the supermarket in powder form. When mixed it's like gatorade and heaps cheaper. Haven't been looking for it or something similar over here but I'm sure there is an equivalent.

Will have a look next time I hit the shops.
Talyn
User Activation Admin

Re: Sports drink powder

Postby Herbsman » Sat Apr 14, 2012 3:27 pm

Try something from myprotein.com.

They sell 5kg of maltodextrin for about £12 and you can add your own flavouring, either from their website or in the form of juice or squash.
Herbsman

Postby Herbsman » Sat Apr 14, 2012 3:33 pm

BTW if I remember rightly I calculated that the number of calories in 5kg of maltodextrin is the same as the amount of energy produced in 70 hours at 300 watts...
Herbsman

Postby fredrikw » Sat Apr 14, 2012 4:22 pm

Sports drink flavour is very individual, so any recommendation can be anything from a perfect to a terrible match. Try to buy a couple of different ones in single serving packets to find out which you fancy, and then go for that one.
--- non-racers. the emptiness of those lives shocks me ---
fredrikw
Site Admin

Postby ultra_whippet » Sun Apr 15, 2012 11:39 am

I second the 5kg bag of maltodextrin. Add a bit of squash/cordial for the flavour of your choice, and a pinch of salt or electrolytes if you think you need it.
ultra_whippet

Postby Herbsman » Sun Apr 15, 2012 4:24 pm

They also sell fructose, so you could do a 2:1 maltodextrin:fructose drink. But there's fructose in fruit juice, which I add to my drink rather than powdered fructose (I use 21g of maltodextrin and 250ml of OJ in a 700ml Camelbak bottle which makes it about 6.6% carbs)

I think I read that 9% carbs at 2:1 maltodextrin to fructose will be absorbed as quickly as 6% maltodextrin alone! So maybe if you want an exact ratio and percentage you might want to use powdered fructose...
Herbsman

Postby baldy » Sun Apr 15, 2012 6:16 pm

There is no way I would be bothered to mix up my own.
I have used this before a couple of times but seems over priced -> http://www.myprotein.com/uk/products/tri_carb
It works out to like 66p a serving, cheaper just to buy readymix drinks from the supermarket.
"A wise man once said, "It's easier to buy smaller clothes, than to put on 5kg." ... Buzz
baldy
Site Admin

Postby Herbsman » Sun Apr 15, 2012 7:11 pm

That's ridiculous. It takes 5 minutes to weigh some powder and pour it into a tub. You can either have cheap, or you can have convenient - you're unlikely to find both in one product. So either stop being lazy or stop moaning about prices and pay up.
Herbsman

Postby Talyn » Sun Apr 15, 2012 7:56 pm

Talyn
User Activation Admin

Postby baldy » Sun May 06, 2012 9:19 am

<rant>
My research has found nearly all of the powders to cost roughly £0.50 per 500ml. This is the same price I get ready made sports drinks from ASDA and often they have buy 2 get 3 offers.
</rant>

Herbsman wrote:That's ridiculous. It takes 5 minutes to weigh some powder and pour it into a tub. You can either have cheap, or you can have convenient - you're unlikely to find both in one product. So either stop being lazy or stop moaning about prices and pay up.

Still lazy and still moaning. :twisted:
baldy
Site Admin

Return to Vegan Products and Supplements