Cooking through Vegan with a Vengeance

New vegan products out there? Queries about products, ingredients, vegan supplements?

Moderators: hardcore iv, bronco, fredrikw, JP, Rochellita

Cooking through Vegan with a Vengeance

Postby baldy » Sat Aug 06, 2011 7:30 pm

Just bought "Vegan with a Vengeance" and want to make a mission to cook every recipe in it.
I have had Veganomicon for a few years and cooked loads of the recipes from it also.

Please motivate me with your favorites and suggestions.

So couple of days ago I cooked Spinach and Chickpea curry (pg 168), solid recipe on par with my normal chickpea curry.

Then today I cooked Mashed Potatoes with Punk Rock Chickpea Gravy. (pg110) Not something I would have normally made, is it very American? Reminds me of KFC adverts that comes with mash and gravy side. Was very good actually, I will make the gravy again to go with roast potatoes and probably use less lemon juice. In the picture served with Linda Mc Cartney sausage rolls.

"A wise man once said, "It's easier to buy smaller clothes, than to put on 5kg." ... Buzz
baldy
Site Admin

Re: Cooking through Vegan with a Vengeance

Postby soniczip » Sat Aug 06, 2011 7:40 pm

it's tempting :D how do you do that gravy? i have to try it, if not just for the name :roll:
i'm focusing on some kind of stuff
soniczip

Postby baldy » Sat Aug 06, 2011 7:54 pm

soniczip wrote:it's tempting :D how do you do that gravy? i have to try it, if not just for the name :roll:

You should buy the cookbook, honestly its a brilliant investment. You can also get them very cheaply off amazon second hand.
The recipe is available online here -> http://www.food.com/recipe/punkrock-chi ... avy-304633
"A wise man once said, "It's easier to buy smaller clothes, than to put on 5kg." ... Buzz
baldy
Site Admin

Postby Goob » Sat Aug 06, 2011 8:13 pm

The black bean burger recipe from that book is good if you like that sort of thing. One of the few burger recipes that actually sticks together. I don't remember how the recipe goes, but I fry them and it works well.
Mikhail Koklyaev wrote:Benedikt he is deadlift god , I'm only amateur
Goob

Postby soniczip » Sat Aug 06, 2011 8:20 pm

baldy wrote:
soniczip wrote:it's tempting :D how do you do that gravy? i have to try it, if not just for the name :roll:

You should buy the cookbook, honestly its a brilliant investment. You can also get them very cheaply off amazon second hand.
The recipe is available online here -> http://www.food.com/recipe/punkrock-chi ... avy-304633

why not. i'll try the gravy in the meantime. directions are very easy to follow and i think i'll try it on top of rice instead.
soniczip

Postby DB » Sat Aug 06, 2011 9:45 pm

The gravy works well on top of bean patties,too. She's got all sorts of good recipes. And her cupcake and cookie recipe books rock. Mmmmmm.....
DB

Postby Darcy » Sun Aug 07, 2011 8:35 am

Gravy looks AMAZING! Gonna make that asap.

Basically any and all of her cookbooks are worth buying.
Darcy

Postby soniczip » Mon Aug 08, 2011 6:33 pm

my gravy came out of a lighter colour than yours :? maybe because i couldn't find any nutritional yeast? but it was good though :D

soniczip

Postby vegan hal » Mon Aug 08, 2011 7:00 pm

this thread is making me hungry.
vegan hal

Postby KaliBaby » Tue Aug 09, 2011 3:04 am

bake the best pumpkin muffins!!!!
Live by the sea. Love by the moon.
KaliBaby

Postby baldy » Sat Aug 13, 2011 8:41 am

Was a bit of a baking week in the baldy household. My sister made the Carrot-raisin muffins [pg53], they were a complete disaster, didn't cook properly, ended up just baked sticky carrot inside and crispy outside. Either medium carrots in UK are bigger than medium carrots in the US or something was up with the oven.

I baked up the Mocha Chip Muffins [pg57], used some really good espresso type coffee powder. These are very grown up muffins, almost cupcakes but not something you would serve at a kids party. Ideal for a coffee brunch with friends, which is exactly what I baked them for.
baldy
Site Admin

Postby baldy » Sat Aug 13, 2011 8:44 am

KaliBaby wrote:bake the best pumpkin muffins!!!!

Its on the list, my sister normally bakes "healthy" muffins every week for work, hence the carrot raisin ones that didn't work. Will try these to swing her.
baldy
Site Admin

Postby baldy » Sat Aug 13, 2011 8:45 am

soniczip wrote:my gravy came out of a lighter colour than yours :? maybe because i couldn't find any nutritional yeast? but it was good though :D

:oops: I didnt have any nutritional yeast either, but I did use dark soya sauce. How much lemon did you use out of interest?
baldy
Site Admin

Postby soniczip » Sat Aug 13, 2011 11:47 am

like you suggested through skype, just half a lemon. perfect this way. :D
soniczip

Postby baldy » Thu Aug 18, 2011 7:05 pm

KaliBaby wrote:bake the best pumpkin muffins!!!!

done.
Best Pumpkin Muffins, had to substitute molasses for syrup as cant get molasses in the supermarket here. They do look and smell great, haven't eaten any yet.

Made vodka penne from veganomnicon which really was good. Had a little moment trying to work out what crushed pepper was, it is of course dried crushed chillis. Turned out well, even got the sister seal of approval.
baldy
Site Admin

Next

Return to Vegan Products and Supplements