Best vegan Probiotic?

New vegan products out there? Queries about products, ingredients, vegan supplements?

Moderators: hardcore iv, bronco, fredrikw, JP, Rochellita

Best vegan Probiotic?

Postby barnz2k » Mon Jan 03, 2011 4:32 pm

Hey
anyone taken Probiotics? Which brand?

Udo's Super8 Hi Potency is the strongest with 30b bacteria, but according to their website Milk and Whey powder is used in the growth of the bacteria.

Some other brands I looked at contained far less.
barnz2k

Re: Best vegan Probiotic?

Postby Rochellita » Mon Jan 03, 2011 9:22 pm

I sometimes use a probiotic from all-vegan brand Viridian, though the bacteria is nowhere near as high!
Rochellita
Site Admin

Postby hardcore iv » Tue Jan 04, 2011 1:47 am

This has been a quest of mine, for the last year or so, that has yielded very little success. However, I just heard back from now foods and their probiotic products that are labelled vegan actually are vegan. They are derived from human intestinal flora and grown on a vegan medium.

Another product that looks promising, but not confirmed to be 100% vegan, is Dr. Ohhira's OM-X 100 Probiotic. This is made from vegetables that are fermented with lactic acid derived from tempeh and it looks to be of pretty good quality with 12 strains of bacteria. I don't know about the quantities though.
"When you are born, you are set forth to die. The fact that you live or don't live between these two dates depends solely upon your own will, opportunities and desires. The weight exerciser, of course, indicates that he chooses to live." Joseph Curtis Hise
hardcore iv

Postby barnz2k » Tue Jan 04, 2011 9:39 pm

the H&B vegan one is 2billion, and their mega-potency is 10b but not vegan.
BioCare is 8billion but only 2 types
http://www.revital.co.uk/BioCare_Bio_Ac ... nd_Bifidum
barnz2k

Postby barnz2k » Sun Jan 16, 2011 10:43 am

hardcore iv wrote:Another product that looks promising, but not confirmed to be 100% vegan, is Dr. Ohhira's OM-X 100 Probiotic. This is made from vegetables that are fermented with lactic acid derived from tempeh and it looks to be of pretty good quality with 12 strains of bacteria. I don't know about the quantities though.

This is interesting. It says 100% vegetarian everywhere, but whether that means vegan or not hmm..
The count seems to be only around 1million (compared to 10billion in some) but suggests it doubles every hour for 8hours, which would be about 250,million. While still a long way off a billion, it is not freeze dried, doesn't require refrigeration, and talks about not sending huge amounts of bacteria all at once because it will cause a response fromthe guts..

http://www.crohns.net/Miva/education/ar ... ount.shtml
barnz2k

Postby hardcore iv » Fri Mar 18, 2011 9:22 am

The Ohhira stuff is not vegan. It has beeswax in the capsules, but online sellers are happy to write that it's vegan :evil:
"When you are born, you are set forth to die. The fact that you live or don't live between these two dates depends solely upon your own will, opportunities and desires. The weight exerciser, of course, indicates that he chooses to live." Joseph Curtis Hise
hardcore iv

Postby powerlifer » Fri Mar 18, 2011 10:09 am

Personally i like this one the best which is more of a fermented paste with 18 million live bacteria LB17 Live Probiotic Biomass

But if you don't want to spend money or minimal money then cultured/fermented foods are the best such as water kefir, cultured veggies, miso, tempeh etc.
Organic Herbal Products, Vega Cellular Foods, Vitashine Vegan Vitamin D3 Spray + More
http://www.amlaberry.co.uk
powerlifer

Postby spanna » Thu Apr 21, 2011 9:31 pm

Im taking a pro biotic made by a company called Metagenics. Ultra Flora Restore-Dairy Free
spanna

Postby hardcore iv » Fri Apr 22, 2011 1:27 am

spanna wrote:Im taking a pro biotic made by a company called Metagenics. Ultra Flora Restore-Dairy Free

Did you e-mail them for confirmation? I contacted them a while ago and the answer wasn't that clear as they pretty much didn't even answer the question I asked and went on about their ethical nutrient range.

Thank you for your recent enquiry about our probiotics in the Ethical Nutrient Range. Unfortunately we do not have a probiotic that does not have some form of animal/human ingredient used at some stage of manufacturing process. Likewise, most strains of probiotics that are therapeutic in nature are of human origin. All I could suggest is that you keep your eye out for a prebiotic (such as arabinogalanctans derived from the larch tree). Prebiotics are a super food source for your good bacteria and by using a prebiotic you may be able to boost the number of your own endogenous good bacteria in the gut.

It looks like they have human derived ones but the company they get it from http://www.probi.com is not exactly animal friendly with their testing procedures.
hardcore iv

Postby hardcore iv » Thu Apr 28, 2011 10:57 am

For those still interested I e-mailed the company that is responsible for ethical nutrients and metagenics:

Hi,
Thanks for your question.

The strains used in Inner Health Plus are Lactobacillus acidophilus NCFM and Bifidobacteria lactis Bi-07. These strains are entirely fermented on barley rootlets, corn and potato extracts, making Inner Health Plus a vegetarian and vegan product.

UltraFlora Plus also includes Lactobacillus acidophilus LGG, a strain which requires meat extract and casein (from dairy) during manufacture as a fermentation nutrient, however there is none present in the final product, as they are entirely consumed by fermentation, making the final raw product dairy free.

Health World Ltd manufactures and bottles these products on site in Brisbane, where absolutely no animal testing performed.

Kind regards,
Erica
hardcore iv

Postby thestoatyone » Sat Apr 30, 2011 7:46 pm

Comprehensive response; fair do's to them.
Vincit omnia pertinax virtus

My Log

muchluv wrote:When I grow up I want to be Gelert.
thestoatyone

Postby spanna » Sat Apr 30, 2011 9:30 pm

excellent!
spanna

Postby Lordmuppet » Thu Mar 01, 2012 4:46 pm

so decided to get capsules as figured Alpro Soy probably has a pretty low count given they don't even mention what the count is ...

anyway am planning on getting this which they say is vegan and has 2 billion

http://www.healthwise.ie/tum-biotix.html
JS - They think it will open the door to folk like LordMuppet campaigning for a threeway?
Lordmuppet
Muppet Moderator

Return to Vegan Products and Supplements