Oatly milk is NOT vegan

New vegan products out there? Queries about products, ingredients, vegan supplements?

Moderators: hardcore iv, bronco, fredrikw, JP, Rochellita

Postby aliquis » Wed Jan 28, 2009 6:00 pm

But the normal Oatly one here in Sweden don't have any vitamines does it? So just don't buy the one with added stuff.

Or get alpro soy which taste better.

Or ignore both and drink Scivation Xtend :D
aliquis

Postby fredrikw » Thu Feb 12, 2009 6:30 am

Good news for Swedish oat milk drinkers: just noticed that Carlshamn has started selling oat milk that contains D2 instead of D3 :)
--- non-racers. the emptiness of those lives shocks me ---
fredrikw
Site Admin

Postby doggles » Thu Feb 12, 2009 9:01 am

here in the uk only the organic (non-enriched) version of oatly is vegan.
doggles

Postby erske » Thu Feb 12, 2009 5:31 pm

fredrikw wrote:Good news for Swedish oat milk drinkers: just noticed that Carlshamn has started selling oat milk that contains D2 instead of D3 :)

Nice! :D will have a look at my store tomorrow!
Something irrelevant about cavemen
erske

Postby Pro Radii » Thu Feb 12, 2009 7:37 pm

Hmm, I've never heard of Oatly. Is it only sold/made in Europe?
Pro Radii

Postby Superflor » Tue Mar 02, 2010 10:04 am

Very informative post. Thanks for your info. I identify with the need to learn "Vegan nutrition grammar". I still feel like a learner. Posts like this make the info accessible and easy to understand. Ta
Superflor

Postby vegangurl23 » Fri Mar 05, 2010 2:54 am

Ava Odoéména wrote:
Lindis wrote:
fredrikw wrote:Yeah, no products containing D3 is vegan

When I read things like that, I cant help of wonder; are we really ment to be vegans if our bodies cant be satisfied with all vitamins from a vegan diet?????

Hello Lindis,

I remember when I was just like you, and every nutritional news which seemed unfavorable towards the vegan diet resulted in minor identity crisis.

It's actually a good and healthy response to radically question what you are doing - if you have the right thought model to be able to scratch out the truth.

Now one thing is important to remember. As vegans, we are in a hostile environment where our sheer existence causes people to have moral stress. This stress they project unto us, seeking ways to make vegans look bad. So your first job is, when you read something which is seemingly antivegan, to figure out where that info comes from and what the sender intends to achieve with the info.

As mentioned before, the now refuted science that D3 is more powerful than D2 (BTW, food is an irrelevant source of Vitamin D, apart from sundried mushrooms) immediately got huge response internationally and in EU-Europe, Vitamin D2 even got pulled from supplements. Now that it has been rehabilitated it may return again, I hope, we'll see.

It just goes to show that you need to observe these kind of reports with a cool distance, this actually comes naturally once you've culturally established as a vegan.

That you haven't done that, is very evident by your question. The answer to your question BTW, is, that evolutionary, humans are omnivores, so we are are meant to eat any diet within that scheme which supplies us with all the required nutrients. A vegan diet is within the realm of being omnivores. In fact, humans being omnivores is an argument *for* the vegan diet and not against it, because just because we can eat everything doesn't mean we must eat everything. We have the liberty to make conscious choices about which parts of the omnivorous diet supply us with all essential nutrients. The vegan diet can do that, but just like learning Chinese grammar there is some "vegan nutrition grammar" to learn and implement.

The bottom line here is: the vegan diet is in no way inferior and in many ways superior compared with an "all-eating omnivore diet". But you have to know where you source your nutrients, you may source them differently from all-eating-omnivores. Like non-heme iron, having vitamin C as in peppers, parsley or apple juice mineral water mix part of your dish enhances your iron absorption. A spice quantity of Arame algae added to your food will supply it with iodine. A Brazil nut a day will give you plenty of selenium, just as whole wheat grains products will. Vitamin D is generated in your skin from UVB-rays, however sundrying freshly harvested mushrooms will also generate storable Vitamin D for you to consume in winter. All Northern people, vegan or not need way more Vitamin D than originally thought, up to 1000IU per 25lb / 11kg bodyweight. That means a person who weighs 220 lb / 100 kg needs 8800IU of Vitamin D. The RDA currently is 400IU....

Nutritional science is a very young science and findings have a short half-life.

It is your responsibility to learn "vegan nutrition grammar" just like it is for a person to learn Chinese who is planning to live in China. If you learn insufficient Chinese, you'll suffer in China and if you are OK and prepared you'll have a smooth ride.

Same goes in Veganism. YOU need to be able to get a good foundation of "vegan nutrition grammar", once that is done, you'll laugh about some of the news reports. Like the one when they claimed that Tofu makes your brain shrink. It turned out that the problem was aluminum poisoning of the water in which the Tofu was made...

So don't be scared, be informed!

wow!!! nicely put!
"even though there is no such thing as perfect, there is nothing wrong with trying to achieve it"
vegangurl23

Re: Oatly milk is NOT vegan- So Good now selling a vegan oat

Postby Rach » Sat Mar 20, 2010 5:40 pm

Ugh- was only recently from reading this thread that I learned that Oatly fortified isn't vegan- have been having loads of it. Phoned them and it's still non-vegan vit d. The good news is So Good have a vegan fortified oatmilk- I just got some from Asda. It has vits a, b12 and d plus calcium.
Rach

Re: Oatly milk is NOT vegan

Postby erske » Thu May 20, 2010 7:49 pm

Not about Oatly, but for you Sweds, the supermarket chain ICA (who for ages have refused to remove the D3 from their oat milk "solhavre") Have recently come out with a soymilk as well. Just got a reply from their costumer service and they use D2 in the soymilk... yeeeey.. :D
Something irrelevant about cavemen
erske

Re: Oatly milk is NOT vegan

Postby VeganGraham » Fri Feb 24, 2012 4:11 pm

I noticed the packaging for Oatly chocolate had changed, so I checked the label and it's now marked as suitable for vegans and contains D2.
Says so for all varieties on the web site too.
http://www.oatly.co.uk/Our-products/

They've still got a mixture of old and new style cartons in my local Tesco. It's the blue chocolate ones you want.
Worcestershire's fastest veteran vegan mountain bike endurance racer with a beard.
Angry Middle Aged Man
VeganGraham

Location: The banks of the River Severn as it meanders through the sun dappled leafy glades of Worcestershire

Previous

Return to Vegan Products and Supplements